Thread: Cannot open certain files in windows 7

Cannot open certain files in windows 7

Hi all, I am having the Windows 7 installed in my computer. All the things are running fine with it but I am not able to open some of my business files with it. Whenever I try to open that then it shows me the error message that says “Security warning: Windows has blocked access to a file”. This I not the case when I open the same file in my office computer that is running on the Windows XP. Can you tell me that what can be the exact problem with it and how that can be removed?

Re: Cannot open certain files in windows 7

Which type of the file you are trying to open? I am asking this because as you told that you are getting the security warning then I have doubt that the file that you are trying to open may contain something that may affect your computer in negative way. And that is the reason that you are getting that error message while opening the file. If this is not a very important file to you then my suggestion to you is not to open that file. Also you can try to take another copy of this file from your office and see if that can be opened or not. I am saying this just for the security reason.

It is very simple to resolve this issue. All you have to do is just right click on the file that is not opening and giving you the security message. Select the properties from that which will come as the last option. In the property window you will be able to see the option to unblock the file. I would like to inform you that this unblock attribute is simply valid for a few file types. I wish that this will help you also to resolve the issue that you are facing. Please reply if it helps you.

This is definitely the security problem as the message is indicating. There may be many possible reasons for this and one of the possible reasons is that you are not having the authority to open that file. Are you the admin for the system? If you are not then you have to ask the admin to provide you the administrator privilege. After that, again login to the system and try to open that once more. I hope that this time you will not get any problem to open that file.

You can check if the files are able to open on other computers that are running the Windows 7 as operating system. If that are able to open there and all the other solutions for this are not working then you can try to do the installation of the operating system once again. It is possible that some of the files that is needed for opening that files are missing or corrupted and that is causing such issues. So do the clean installation of that once again. You should install that from a different copy of the setup to avoid any kind of misplacing of the files.