Thread: Documents and Settings/User Folder Inaccessible while upgraded to windows 7

Documents and Settings/User Folder Inaccessible while upgraded to windows 7

I require assist trying to overcome an "Access is denied" problem on Windows 7.After a hard drive failure on my Windows XP PC, I rebuilt a fresh system with Windows 7. I still had the entire the data (music, photos, writing) on a secondary hard drive which was well; as a result I installed it in the fresh PC. While I ported the whole thing over, though, I was not capable to get the bulk of the files on the secondary hard drive. Not any of the data on the old drive copied over into \User on C:\. All the tabs (like security, sharing, etc.) state I must be an administrative user by means of permission to vision the object's safety permissions which I am. The "D:\Documents & Settings\<Uname>" folder provides me "access is denied" each time I attempt to open it. Other <usernames> for the similar folder(s) is accessible as well as searchable. So please help me out.

Re: Documents and Settings/User Folder Inaccessible while upgraded to windows 7

From my discussion I have come to conclusion that for backward compatibility, the old sites have junction points that identify the fresh position. For instance, C:\Documents and Settings is at the present a junction point that position to C:\Users, which is where you will in fact go to locate your detail. May this information will help you if you got solution to your issue then please tell me about that over there.

I am thinking you have UAC enabled, as well as you are logging into Windows 7 utilizing an account that is place as an Administrator, you have to run Explorer with elevated privileges. For that you have to first of all have to press on Start as well as after that at you have to type Explorer into the Search box. While Windows Explorer comes up, you have to RIGHT-press on it as well as select Run as Administrator. After that you have to follow the Take Ownership instructions.

If you are attempting to access the "Documents and Settings" folder that is piece of your Windows 7 installation: that folder does not in fact exist. It is called a junction or a 'hard link' that points to the actual folder called "Users". though, I do not imagine that is what you are talking regarding as you mention being capable to access other exact users folders in a backup from your earlier Windows installation .This leads me to consider that the user account for folder your attempting to access was encrypted, an choice users be able to select while making accounts in Windows XP. If this was the situation, the contents of the folder are not able to retrieve.

a user with Windows 7 attempting to access "C:\Documents and Settings\Username", which is a path that does not subsist (root cause of the problem).as you have a separate as well as unconnected problem (permission to copy files from old hard drive to fresh system), I would advise you begin a fresh question. If your error is "permission denied" while attempting to access the old drives' files, you will require to search for how to get ownership of the files.