Thread: Permission to access files after restoring vista backup

Permission to access files after restoring vista backup

I was running Windows Vista on my desktop machine and I thought to install the Windows 7 on this machine. So I took backup of all the files that were stored on Vista machine and then started installing Windows 7. Installation got completed and then started restoring the Vista Backup files. Now the problem is I am not able to access the files that I have just backed up on Windows 7 machine. I am getting an error that I don’t have permission to access file. How can I access them now?

Re: Permission to access files after restoring vista backup

I suggest you to log in the Safe Mode of the Windows operating system which might not show any such problem. You have to reboot your machine and then keep on pressing the F8 key which will take you to the Windows Booting Options where you need to select for the Safe Mode with or without networking. Make sure that you are logged in with an admin account. Once you have to logged in then I guess there should not be any problem for accessing the files that you have to restored on windows 7.

It is possible that the files that you have back up of might not be compatible with the version of the software that you are using on your windows 7 machine. I suggest you to check that software that you need for accessing those files are trying to open in that older version or windows 7 have upgraded version of the same. If so then you need to install an older version for opening such files and then save them on your machine with the new settings.

I think that your files need to some security settings which might be stopping you from accessing them in the new user account. You have to right click on the file that you are not able to access and enter into its properties. Now switch to the Security Tab. In the advance settings and go to the Owner Tab. Click on Edit and then Other users or groups. Click on an Advance button and then on Find Now. Double click on an user account that you are currently logged in. Go on clicking OK Choose the user account from the list and then click on Edit. Again choose your user account make a check mark in front of Full control under Allow and click Yes.