Thread: Is Meego only a hardware adaption for N900

Is Meego only a hardware adaption for N900

Guys I am working as a software developer for a company and we are into development of smartphones software, I have recently heard that the Meego that has been used in developing the latest Nokia N900 has been one of the very successful project that have been used by Nokia. So I would like to know some of the real facts of the MeeGo so as that can it be used with all the platform or that it is just that the it goes with a specific hardware. Also I would like to know that will we ever get a working meego including BME and GPU support?

Re: Is Meego only a hardware adaption for N900

Hey I know that the functionality of the Meego is still not clear to all the people using it, still there has been doubt on the minds of people with explaining this term . I have also searched for as many information as possible and have found that Meego and Nokia software are two different things and the Nokia developers have just used the Meego as a open source software in implementing the process of the Nokia N900. They have used ARM reference platform of MeeGo in all its N900 mobile application, which specifies that there is a active project that focuses to MeeGo hardware adaptation for N900. So I guess that in the future all of the platforms developers are going to inherit the Meego on their implementation.

I have been also thinking of the same and have got this from searching the web for clearing my doubt that since Meego is a open source software so the developers have been using this to open as much N900 specifig drivers as possible on their own development platform , which helps in integrating more and more functionality to the phone . I also think that in the near future MeeGo on N900 will become more open than Maemo which is being currently in used and it will truly become an open source mobile operating system in Nokia N900 and we will surely be able to get more advancement in the mobile technology.

As far as including BME and GPU support on Meego, I think that there will be various underlying components that are currently in progress that will help in implementing this feature that you have suggested. Also, most linux distributions already contain some closed components that is able to support various hardware so I think that some of the components will be made available in Meego overtime and we will surely get fully functional BME and GPU support as well.

Affection Re: Is Meego only a hardware adaption for N900

Hi KIdaa PaA!
    just to clear some things.
    N900 runs with Maemo, not Meego.
    Meego is a project of Nokia and Intel, and now a Lunix foundation projekt.

To get to your questions in the end of your post:
    if you make an app for meego using Qt (i hope you know what Qt is), this app will run on every device that supports Qt (e.g. Nokia N900, Nokia N8, future meego devices, future meego cars (e.g. BMW navigation system, future meego TV, and Windows or Linux too).
    And, yes, it will get hardware accelerated graphics and will support a lot of hardware. Keep in mind that nokia and intel are not the only big player, amd is also part of this project
    And keep in mind that meego is not made for smartphones only, its made for a lot of internet devices, everyone with his own user interface, but all are compatible to each other.

You can get more information about meego at meego.com and about qt at qt.nokia.com

I hope your company will make a lot of good apps for meego
    You are welcomne to be part of meego

Hey I really don’t care whether they will come out with the BME and GPU support for Meego as well but I think that as we are able to install its image on my Nokia N900 and because of it I am able to smoothly install applications from repository and already getting the Meego User interface so I think that it is very much enough for all of us. Also, including those will only make the matter worse as the complexity of the code will increase. Since with the current version I am able to access the ovi store, make and receive calls, play games so I think that this is very much enough for all the users.

Quote Originally Posted by kraal View Post
    Hey I really don’t care whether they will come out with the BME and GPU support for Meego as well but I think that as we are able to install its image on my Nokia N900 and because of it I am able to smoothly install applications from repository and already getting the Meego User interface so I think that it is very much enough for all of us. Also, including those will only make the matter worse as the complexity of the code will increase. Since with the current version I am able to access the ovi store, make and receive calls, play games so I think that this is very much enough for all the users.
    man, you are a really strange guy...

Version 1.1 of meego is nothing for customers, its just for developers and people who want to take a look at the os, but i (and meego.com too) wouldnt recommend to use meego for phone calls. the guys at meego.com said that everyone using the version 1.1 should take a special look at their bills because mistakes could happen... version 1.2 is the "final" version and for this version i would agree with you.... but...

but do you really use your 600€ phone only for phone calls and apps? thats really strange... i hate it to say but maybe an iphone would be better for you... just phone calls and a lot of apps... nothing else...

"it is very much enough for all of us" since when do you know me? and all the other guys all around the world? yes, we want to do more then phone calls and gaming.

you are talking about gpu support and that it is not neccessary... do you played angry birds? if the n900 wouldnt have opengl es support, you couldnt play this game. nearly every game needs some 3d abilities... and no, including those would not make the code more complex... its meant to be like this from the beginning, so your meego already supports gpu...

and btw, the official meego ui is a good standard, but its nothing special, in my eyes its a little bit too conservative... but the ui of the official nokia meego smartphone will get a complete different and way better interface... more to see at mwc...
    -B-