Thread: Is Wine capable to running server-client application on linux

Is Wine capable to running server-client application on linux

Hello friends I would like to know that is wine capable of running the client- server application on linux operating system. I am having this as a project and I have been developing the client server application on C sharp and using Visual 2010. So I will have to use wine emulator to be able to run this application on Linux operating system and that is why I would want to know that whether I will be able to easily run the exe files on linux using wine.

Re: Is Wine capable to running server-client application on linux

Hey I think that the Wine has developed to use some of the Windows based application to run on the Linux operating system. Now which one can easily run will be depended on Wine emulator, since this will take some application as as input to process the output but for some application that is having some complexity in its code and which wine will be unable to detect I think that application will not easily run on the Linux operating system. Since I haven't tried this out I think that it is possible to tell whether it will hold the application or not. But I think that you should give a try and see if it helps you out in any case.

I think that not all the .Net application have been fully featured so as to make them self's run using the wine, because is an emulator for windows based application that have been developed either by C,C++ or Java. Using the .Net framework for developing the application and using wine will cause some problem with the compiling so I guess that this will certainly not go with your application and you will have to only make this thing run on normal windows platform.

If you really want that application that you have developed to run on Linux operating system then I would suggest you that you should some how convert that code into Java based platform and the use the wine to convert the application to run it on the Linux operating system. Coveting the code into java will help the Wine emulator to easily detect the code and then convert the existing code into one that will be easily run on any linux platform. I know that converting the code into java is really a difficult thing but it can certainly help you if you want to run that application.

Thanks for your suggetsion friends but I think that it is really difficult;t for me to convert the code into Java as I am almost at the end of the project just the testing phase is to be done. Also, I would want to make this project ready as quickly as possible because I have to submit this to my boss. So if there is some alternative that I can follow to make this application run on the linux operating system with a help of wine or any other functionality, please let me know.

Hey dear friend if you really want to run the application on linux operating system then I would suggest you to , first run the C# executable code on Windows in a virtual machine and then run the exe file using Wine on the linux operating System.. Unfortunately, all too many people bought into Microsoft's propaganda about it. Like Java, the c# executable code are not multi-platform code that will run on any platform ,also they are not movable, also no update is allowed with the codes. But when Windows updates are been performed , even the .NET updates and we will have to rebuild and retest everything.