Thread: Will maemo switch to Qt as its main toolkit ?

"Dritan" Guest

Will maemo switch to Qt as its main toolkit ?

There are lots of content and thread being postedabout the maeomo operating system, I also thought that it will be the correct place to get my doubt clear . I have heard that and an announcement has been made that maemo will switch to Qt as the foremost toolkit in the prospect, with GTK+ being a division of the maemo platform that will turn out to be supported by the society. I do not know nor I am sure about it , is it correct piece of information please let me know about this .

Re: Will maemo switch to Qt as its main toolkit ?

Not a big disclosure, since Nokia obtained and overcome Trolltech a while ago.The built-in slide particulars the GNOME/Hildon/GTK+ technologies are at the moment being used or considered for Nokia's Maemo environment. So while the move to Qt is a reasonable move from Nokia, it is fine to make out that Nokia stays determinedly dedicated to GNOME Mobile. It is in fact quite amazing to notice that what we build there is striking to a large industry player like Nokia (and, well, a lot of other players .

The attractive thing, although, is that, listening to Quim's talk, maemo is still a huge GNOME Mobile user: the maemo platform will in fact still more or less be GNOME Mobile, apart from that it will be making the use of Qt instead of GTK+. This may appear as a surprise to some people given that for many, GNOME is GTK+ and GTK+ is GNOME. GNOME is in reality way further than GTK+ and the GNOME Mobile environment in particular envelops a excellent number of technologies like glib, dbus and gvfs . bluez, telepathy, avahi, gstreamer, gconf, etc.). All of those technologies are traditionally close to GNOME (usually living on freedesktop.org), or even part of GNOME.

Any software engineer knows that technically Qt is the improved picking, since it renders a software development environment, and not just a "graphical toolkit". Not anything against GTK+, it has been selected by loads of projects. But perhaps generally because of it's, by the time of the choice, more liberal license. Frankly, I comprehend Qt to be the most excellent gui toolkit on earth and applaud their decision.

The main areas where the desktops basis still feels too disjointed and disordered are file management, configuration and qualifications storage. GNOME programmers who function in those areas - and I think are creating careful stuff - should work together with their KDE counterparts more actively. And maybe even help programming and designing APIs. GNOME would profit from that a lot, cause there *are* very cool KDE and Qt applications.