Thread: Windows 7 searching does not show proper result

Windows 7 searching does not show proper result

Hi friends I am working on the windows 7 operating system and using the same from last few months. It is serving me a lot here but the only thing that is worrying me a lot is whenever I am trying to search any items on the search box then I am getting only the grouped headers and not the actual items. And this thing is happening from last few days and I am not able to figure out what is the actual reason behind the same. So what is the best way that will help me to solve the problem.

Re: Windows 7 searching result shows list of group headers Source

I have gone through the problem that you are facing and it seems to me that I can help you in this case, actually the problem that you are facing is due to the wrong registry key or invalid registry key now to solve the issue you have to just rewrite the following registry key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FolderTypes\{ef87b4cb-f2ce-4785-8658-4ca6c63e38c6}\TopViews\{00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000}. I am sure that entering this registry key will help you a lot.

The problem that you are getting is due to the registry value that is showing you group by and if you are getting the group by value than it is incorrect. The incorrect value is normally shown as or notified as “System.Null” and if this is stored in your system also then you will get the results in groups. Now what you have to do here is that try and change the value and keep it as “System.StartMenu.Group”. I hope that this will help you to solve the issue that you are facing and will allow you to get proper search results.

If you are facing this problem then it must be due to the key and I guess you have to delete the whole key to get rid of this issue. Actually I was also facing the similar kind of issue few days back and I really tried hard` to solve and I guess you are also going through the same phase. Now if you are willing to fix it up then please change the registry key I am sure that it will work for you because it did wonders for my system too.

Here are the steps that will help you to solve the problem which you are facing:
    Click on start and the go on the search box.
    • Now in the search box you have to just type regedit
    • Then a program list will be displayed in front of you just select regedit.exe out of it
    • Then you have to browse the following registry key:
    • HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FolderTypes\{ef87b4cb-f2ce-4785-8658-4ca6c63e38c6}
    • Now in the extreme left side of the window you have to right-click GroupBy and click Modify
    • After that just change the value System.StartMenu.Group
    • And then just click on OK And close the editor