Thread: What is PackageKit

What is PackageKit

Here my main question or you can say major question is what is PackageKit? I newly heard about this. Don’t have any idea about this but after searching get something. But I don’t think that it is sufficient to understand it. Therefore, I come here to get solution. I wish someone here must help me to know this. So please if anyone has any information regarding PackageKit, than provide me. I am really thankful for all information or every reply. Thanking you…

Re: What is PackageKit

PackageKit is a system intended to make setup and updating software on your PC simpler. The main design objective is to merge all the software graphical tools utilized in dissimilar distributions, and utilize a few of the most recent technology like PolicyKit to make the procedure suck less. The real nuts-and-bolts distro tool is utilized by PackageKit by means of compiled and scripted assistants. PackageKit is not intended to restore these tools, in its place providing a general set of concepts which can be utilized by standard GUI and text form package managers.

PackageKit is a system turned on daemon known as packagekitd. Being system turned on means that it is just being sprint while the user is utilizing a text form or graphical tool, and quits while it is no longer being utilized. This means we don't holdup the boot series or session startup and don't devour memory while not being utilized. Gnome-PackageKit is the name of the compilation of graphical tools for PackageKit to be utilized in the GNOME desktop. KPackageKit is the name of the KDE graphical device intended for PackageKit.

By default, PackageKit utilizes PolicyKit for user confirmation. This means that you, as an administrator, can state with well grained control what your users can and cannot perform. For example, an administrator could indicate that unprivileged users can modernize the system and do searching, but are not allowed to setup or eliminate packages. For home users it is typical to ask the user for possess, or the administrator's root password. With PolicyKit, all these alternatives are probable.

Utilize cases for PackageKit live for the below scenario:
    1. Boot time safety updates
    2. Installing files mechanically, e.g. OpenOffice-clipart
    3. Installing novel features, for example: smart-card readers
    4. Permitting poor users to setup software in a corporate build
    5. Unlocking unidentified file formats
    6. Eliminating addictions for files

Gnome PackageKit and PackageKit are GPLv2+ approved. This means that you can reallocate and amend PackageKit and gnome PackageKit below the terms of the GNU General Public authorize as in print by the Free Software foundation; either edition 2 of the certificate, or any afterward edition. Observe the license detail built-in with the software for additional details.
    What PackageKit is not?
    1. A vast daemon with many dependencies.
    2. 100 percent API constant. The API may alter a bit until we ship 1.0
    3. Targeted to an exacting architecture or podium.
    4. Produced by any one seller. There are lots of contributors serving to get this completed.