Thread: Is it safe to install Linux Mint with Windows

Is it safe to install Linux Mint with Windows

I have clearly mentioned the doubt that I am having related Linux Mint and windows. See the thing is that I am not an expert related to this field but want to learn many things. Recently I have heard about the dual booting system. Currently I am running my system on windows operating system and now I want to dual boot my system. But I am little worried about my current system. It should not happen that, if I install Linux Mint on my system then I will loss all my files that are present on windows system. If you have understood the problem I am facing then let me know the solution for this problem.

Re: Is it safe to install Linux Mint with Windows

There won’t be any issue if want to dual boot your system. You have not clearly mention which version of windows you are using. Especially useful for Vista PC on which you cannot install windows XP. Customers have only 2 choices: Vista or Linux. While most are experimenting with Linux, because Vista is really bad. You can use an external hard drive to install linux mint. I hope that this will definitely solve the problem that you are facing. If you have any other issues then let me know about that I will try to resolve that as soon as possible. I am not an expert but know the solution for small problems.

For the external hard drive, yes it is possible. But for low playing with the BIOS disk order is discouraged. Unless you're an experienced user of Grub and you know your repair multiboot I would advise very strongly that solution. For a first approach on Linux is better to choose the default option (boot from the CD, click install, and select the option to resize C: \). In short you will not face any issue if you are trying to dual boot you system with windows and Linux mint operating system. I am saying this because I am also having dual boot system.

I also have a small question about the forthcoming version of LinuxMint. Does bear all native languages whether in live cd mode and / or after installation on HD? In the previous Version English is the default language, and unfortunately the first screen of livecd only available in English. I wanted to say that I managed to copy files onto an external hard drive to NTFS without problems. LinuxMint perfectly handles the NTFS whatsoever in reading and writing. It will be better if they can provide support for this thing in other languages also.

For the upgrade, yes, it will be possible. Regarding dist-upgrade: Apt upgrade does not "see" the packets for which there 's a new version and dependencies which do not require the installation o the removal of other packages. Apt dist-upgrade "sees" all packets for which there’s a new version available. It might take another example and show a package whose new version is in conflict with an already installed package ... (Attribute conflict in the new package dependencies). Installing this new version would not make a single update package. It also removing the package with which it conflicts.

Regarding the LiveDVD, so why not. The reason we do not is simply because we do not consider it very important having a liveCD locates. We consider that the liveCD is primarily an installation medium, more than a tool itself. Of course, we could translate isolinux install the language support and generate a LiveDVD. I hope you have understood what I am trying to convey, if you have any other issue then do let me know. If you want to learn new things then there are many persons those are ready to solve the issue that you are facing.