Thread: Glib-WARNING**: getpwuid_r() error on Linux Mint 10

Glib-WARNING**: getpwuid_r() error on Linux Mint 10

Since I have upgraded my machine to the Linux Mint 10 Julia, I am facing some error on this machine. Whenever I disconnecting from the internet, I have a following screen with an error.

(Process:2xx): Glib-WARNING**: getpwuid_r(): failed due to unknown uswr id (0)

Though I have noticed that the process number keeps on changing. At this time, Caps Lock lights starts flashing and machine gets freeze. I have never seen any such issue on earlier versions of the Linux Mint.

Re: Glib-WARNING**: getpwuid_r() error on Linux Mint 10

Still, there seems no real solution to the problem to give, but it is plymouth (the graphical Boot-Anzeiger/Boot-Logo) held responsible. I therefore once the boot splash disabled:

in / etc / default / grub:
    Code:
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash" in GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet"
    changed, then still update the grub:
    Code:
     sudo update-grub
    Let's see whether this really the fault no longer occurs. Positive side effect is that the boot is apparently even faster:-O

There, "Plymouth" identified as the cause. You can try "noplymouth" Kernelparamter in GRUB. In the bug report is a workaround to the removal of Plymouth. On the wiki page below are also instructions for removing it.

chroot and update-grub: update-grub needs access to the devices in / dev. This must be / dev but also mounted. In front of the 'chroot' you call Source
    Code:
      mount-B / dev / mnt / first / dev 
      mount-t proc proc / proc
     mount-t sysfs sysfs / sys

I doubt that it is in a plymouth error. The "noplymouth" option did not help. However, I was after including proc and sys error-free run update-grub and so on startup to access the menu: the option failsafe starts up without hesitation. From the "emergency menu" I have "repair graphics" or chosen, and since then the computer goes up again as usual. I do not know that happened exactly, but a simple reinstall the X server packages did not help. Well, here we go again and I have backed up all my data. Now I've worked through the half in the "Linux From Scratch" recommended tutorials, and will see if I am just learning and testing times, the LFS PDF and go through the steps. So I have no user-friendly X environment, but you learn a lot. Data loss is indeed to be feared any more.

I also have the warning from time to time. (My system, Ubuntu 10.04 LTS - 32 bit - for your netbook, the Acer Aspire One D260 with this error message.) A reset (Ctrl-Alt-Del) does lead to a rule that afterwards everything is fine. However, yesterday the warning came twice. So the getpwuid () returns a pointer to the structure back to the broken-out fields?) The entry in the password database (contains, the user ID matches. - Does this end, that is read by getpwuid () the password, or not? getpwuid_r () will obtain the same information, but stores the resulting I - no, get the password to the structure pwbuf shows (?) in the reserved space on? So, the sustaining password is stored? Does it matter?

steve_hinesley Guest

Try this...
    Code:
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure plymouth
    ...and then reboot.