Thread: Icons keep moving in gnome panels

Icons keep moving in gnome panels

Hi all, I am having some problem with the gnome panels. The icons are continuously moving entire time. I see the date in the center and the very next out on the left. This is same for all the icons in it. I have minimized all of them and now I can not get them back. I have by no means had this difficulty previously. This is very frustrating for me as some of the icons get disappears sometimes. I tried all the things that I know but that did not work and now I need your suggestion on this. Please tell me if there is any method by which I can reset the panel to its default. Thank you.

Re: Icons keep moving in gnome panels

I think that you need to lock the items that are there on the gnome panel. This will not let them to move to any other position after that. My instant statement likely to be that the additional users you would like to stop from moving the icons contain their sudo constitutional rights off, therefore they cannot perform some root limited actions. Just assign the read only permission to all the other users and see if that can solve the issue for you or not. This is one of the possible way to solve this problem.

I do not have any idea that how this works but you can try to remove the notification area from it. Once you have removed that completely then add that again and see if that solves the problem for you. One of my friends who was also having the same problem did the same and he manage to solve the problem. So if this can solve the issue for him then there is possibility that this will do the same for you also. There is no harm in trying this. You can try this without any fear in mind.

This happens to me subsequent to a new install and I was not able to move it approximately on the desktop. Whenever I try to do that then it shows me the message that says that there is some error while moving "SuSE.desktop". it shows me the directory as /home/user1/Desktop. After that I made a subdirectory that grasp in /usr/share/dist/desktop-files/ and just moved the existing SuSE.desktip in the subdir. After that the issue is just gone and did not got that after this. I hope that this will do the same for you also.

Which version of the Mint are you using? I am asking this to you because if the mint that you are using is corrupted then also you will get the issues like this. My suggestion to you is to install the latest mint version that is available on internet. I am using Linux Mint 10 and that is not showing me any of the problems with it. You can also try this version and I am quite sure that this will not show you the problems. This is more likely seem to be the problem with the corrupted operating system.