Thread: HDMI not working for Audio on Linux Mint

HDMI not working for Audio on Linux Mint

I have recently I have installed the Linux Mint 10 operating system on my Dell laptop model 1564 and I have a problem with getting sound on my laptop. Earlier I was running Windows Vista operating system where I never faced any problem for enjoying sound from my laptop. I am trying to get an audio from my HDMI port where video works properly but there is no sound. I guess this laptop has a realtek audio card. Please suggest me if I am missing any settings.

Re: HDMI not working for Audio on Linux Mint

Even I have seen the same issue on my HP 1110US dv2 laptop which is running Linux Mint Isadora operating system. Actually this machine is recognizing the sound card on its own but when I am clicking on the sound icon then I am getting two options as an analogical and HDMI option. Now problem arrives when you click on the HDMI option. It is not affecting the sound at all as I am only getting the video without an audio.

Presumably for lack of driver support, The Nvidia HDMI in my example IMHO is only supported since kernel 2.6.30, try it with a current kernel, if this is already the case, you gotta wait for a newer or make you to search for a driver, or maybe there there is a driver from the ALSA project for your card, you could include in your kernel. I suggest you to check installing some other driver on your machine as new operating system might be having some issues with drivers.

When you install the necessary codecs are installed automatically or if it is not the case, the first time you try to read such files, the program will tell you that a particular codec is absent and will be asked if you want to install it, which will itself without further intervention from you. For the rest, I find that Linux Mint is really a good distribution for example: I have two printers: an HP LaserJet 1020 and an all-in-One HP OfficeJet 6310. On Debian, install the HP 1020 was rather tedious, giving automatic installation does not work, I finally got the run by running a rather complex process (for a beginner) on the net.

It is essential that drivers are loaded into memory (I'm not making), the mixer is adjusted so that we can hear sound and it also requires that the user is in group audio. This is not always the case after a fresh install. In addition to install codecs, you must add the audio group if necessary, with which the user wants to have her. Group management is done by root. There is the graphic method in Gnome: System / Administration / Users and Groups. The word-of-root password should thou ask thyself. Not all sound cards are automatically detected by Linux and other operating systems. They need to be plug and play. Otherwise, you must tell the system which drivers use, so that the sound card is detected and activated by the driver. If the BIOS and the sytem does not detect the card, the latter possibility. Sound Blaster cards among others, are detected by the appropriate driver himself.

It is rather odd because Linux Mint comes automatically with all the codecs and other drivers (including video and audio) and this is actually a distribution specifically tailored for beginners who do not have to take the lead by continued to resolve the kind of problem you meet. I will therefore only a suggestion to make: the manager of her would it not "dumb" (mute)? or when the volume slider would it not zero?