Thread: Unable to start games in Linux Mint

Unable to start games in Linux Mint

I am a big Fan of computer games. Everyday I spend some hours for playing games in my computer. I have been using the Linux OS in my gaming mod. I know that lots of high end or best games are available for Windows platform only. But still there are several games for Linux platform. Recently I have installed Linux Mint 10 in my gaming PC. After the successful installation I have installed several games on it. They installed without any issues. But when I try to launch those games they just don’t start at all. Can you tell me why? Does the Mint is not capable to run games?

Re: Unable to start games in Linux Mint

I think that it might be the issue of the executable file. I assume that you are trying to run .exe file in Linux Mint. As you know there extension files are specially meant for Windows platform. So I think that cannot be very good at Linux distribution. If you cannot able to run or start games directly from the GUI then I urge you to start them by using the Terminal window. You just need a simple command to run it that’s all. I have installed the breakout2 in my Linux box and I am running it using following command: lbreakout2 1>>lbreakout.txt 2>&1

It seems to me that the Linux Mint does not install Whole game from the CD. That means you might have seen this kind of problem in Windows platform. There are some games CD which installs just the launcher of the game and some important files which are necessary for the game. It didn’t install or copies the whole game data to computer. In order to play such games you need to insert original CD in your drive every time on every launch. I think that the same situation has occurred in your computer also. So put the game CD if available and then try to start the game.

I hope that you might have heard about the Wine for Linux Mint. I think you should get this program as soon as possible to your computer. you might not know that this program enables you to run the programs or any executable files deigned or intended for Windows platform can run in Unix and Linux platform along with your Mint. Wine is not emulator, however is as a substitute a compatibility level, offering substitute implementations of the DLLs which the Windows applications call, and a progression to alternate intended for the Windows NT kernel.

I think that it is about the GPU in your computer. I heard the Linux Mint does not need high end resources to operate. It can capable to work or operate even in your old junk computer. it seems to me that you haven’t upgrade the GPU. So it will be better to get a brand new GPU card for your Linux Mint. Make sure that you will get the compatible drivers to along with card.