Thread: How to install firmware without internet connection in linux

How to install firmware without internet connection in linux

I have a very strange problem that I want to share it with you all. A few days ago I had installed firmware-b43-installer with an internet connection but while running it I got an error message saying that I needed a b43-fwcutter for that. So I installed it. After that i tried installing the particular firmware 'firmware-b43-installer' again but this time it did not get installed properly. It gave me some error message saying something about the broadcom-wl-4.150.10.5.tar.bz2. I did not get anything from that. Also I don’t have any idea how to install from the tar.bz file. So do you have any idea why this error is repeatedly occurring. Do send me your valuable suggestions.

re: How to install firmware without internet connection in linux

According to me you are trying to use two different cards of the particular Broadcom cards. So if you are trying to do that then let me tell you that you must have two different drivers for the two different cards. So do get a driver installed from the particular Broadcom website. Also if you need a step by step information for the installation of the cards then I would advise you to search the internet for the steps and you will get it accordingly.

Well in order to install the cards you must need to know that you must have the sta hybrid driver or the b43 kernel driver installed in the system. Without these two drivers it is very difficult to run these cards in the system. Talking about the installation of the particular file when there is no internet access then what you have to do is install the bcmwl-kernel-source package that can be found in the ubuntu install media under /pool/restricted/b/bcmwl location. So try with this solution and do let me know if it works or not.

Well let me tell you that I have the particular sta driver for the card. I saw your solution but let me tell you frankly that I did not understand the method properly. I don’t have any idea where is this particular location. So It would be better if you could have explained me in a step by step method. So that I will get a better knowledge about the installation. So if possible do reply as early as possible.

Re: How to install firmware without internet connection in linux

Yes, I can explain you In detail. I will explain you in steps
    1) Navigate to the install media and try installing the packages that I have listed below in the terminal.
    2) :/dkms/$ sudo dpkg -i dkms*
    3) :/patch/$ sudo dpkg -i patch*
    4) :/fakeroot/$ sudo dpkg -i fakeroot*
    5) :/bcmwl/$ sudo dpkg -i bcmwl-kernel-source*
    6) Another method is that you can also try, go to the desktop menu, go to the system, then administration and hardware additional drivers.
    7) Reboot is required to use the wifi card.
    Hope you have got the necessary solution.