Thread: Linux Mint Debian Edition drivers missing

sad Linux Mint Debian Edition drivers missing

So I, as a Linux system, I have always used Ubuntu. I feel good, but I felt like trying one new, just ... to test. I installed Debian, but lacked almost all the drivers.. Lately I was thinking about Linux Mint Debian Edition, but I still fear that the drivers are missing ... The drivers that interest me are for my laptop Acer Aspire AS5738ZG with Intel Pentium Dual Core T4300 (x64); mainly are essential:
    • Driver Atheros Wireless Network Adapter AR5B93
    • Drivers ATI HD 4570
    Now I am having some questions:
    • Linux Mint Debian Edition includes these drivers? If not, how do I install them?
    • What other Linux distributions that include drivers and those who already know that are good I might try?
    I would also like an opinion on OpenSolaris on drivers, software and performance available.

Re: Linux Mint Debian Edition drivers missing

Develops and releases native ati driver for linux, you can download as well if you do not find them already packaged with your distribution. Also according to me, the Atheros cards are very common, there should be a good support. OpenSolaris is a project almost died when it was officially supported and proceeded very slowly, let alone now, however, is a Unix-like BSD to understand, a lot of software, especially desktop is nothing more than porting from linux.

Linux Mint has the same drivers for Ubuntu, if you feel comfortable with Ubuntu you'll be fine with Mint. Mint is Debian Sid, and then just add the non-free repository and find the drivers you need, with my nvidia I had no problems. Even I was having the similar scenario some days back, with Ubuntu I have never had driver problems. It was only for the Linux Mint Debian Edition. So first try to download the drivers with help of the internet, and I am sure that you will get some drivers for it. Else you will have to forcefully install the drivers that you got (this should be done without an Internet).

However, the Mint live cd and then download, burn, boot and see if you recognize the different devices. Driver for the wireless card if you win those you can use ndiswrapper. For the ATI card or download the drivers from ati, or add some repositories that you install them from synaptic ago. Anyway for debian and debian in my opinion, it is better to keep ubuntu. Aesthetically they are very very similar (both based on gnome) ubuntu has more updated software, more people are taking to improve the software and experimenting, and then above all the support you can get with ubuntu is the best in my opinion.