Thread: grub error on RAID-5

grub error on RAID-5

Hello,

I just installed Lenny on an old dual-processor card with Adapter that I configured as RAID-5. As I write Grub disk it tells me an error. I reconfigured my bunch, thinking that there was a write protect the MBR. I retried to install it again but it gives me the same effect! Can I continue the install without grub? I Will it be possible then to install it manually later and how? I will appreciate each helpful suggestion on this.

Re: grub error on RAID-5

I have already tried installing grub on a raid 5 with success, but how is your run raid 5? by defraud if you installed your system on the raid 5 then the system can become very slow that's why I have selected raid 0 or 1 for good performance but you can install your / home directory on a raid 5 to secure your data. This is just the suggestion for you a nd the choice is yours that what you want to do.

So it seems that the array (I assume this is the hardware raid) is mortal known through the installer, it be able to be partitioned as well as the partition be capable of mounting. So the difficulty has to be within grub seeing array. We can attempt to obtain this working as you have set up but there might be an simpler solution. This controller is array on the disk level otherwise the partitions level. If the final, can you make a non-raid partition in addition to that put /boot only in it?

I would like to tell you that the GRUB cannot support the RAID 5. because it desires to make use of BIOS calls to load boot loader 2nd stage which reads the file system lying on disk as well as load kernel plus initrd. So making a little RAID 1 ext2 file system is the most excellent method to handle /boot. This is the only thing that I can assume right now about this. I hope that this will give you some idea for this isse.

I think that you need to modify the boot disk order in Bios. So check if you can change the boot disk in the BIOS or not? I may add that you could make use of the install disk for booting the install of your selection and resolve it from there or you will also get a boot loader repair attribute on top of the install CD/DVD. Select "repair" option then boot loader. See if that can help you out there.