Thread: Linux is not able to determine proper file type association

Linux is not able to determine proper file type association

I usually archive my mails individually by saving them in the .eml format (from Thunderbird).I associate kmail to read is the software that makes the best format support and do not ask me to set up an account. The problem is that Linux (Dapper or Breezy for that matter) sometimes detects them as "email message" and sometimes as "document eml" while all the files have. Eml extensions. I can work around it by changing the. Eml. I don’t know how is this problem appears? A bug or a problem of translation? I do not think the extension. Eml exists for email, though? And also one common problem is that sometime I am not able to open the file like .doc or .xls and I really don’t know the reason behind it so please someone help me out of this.

Re: Linux is not able to determine proper file type association

I think the Kmail that you are using to read the mails and that is the reason why you are getting this issue. Actually it might have happened that the Kmail is not proper or it must have got corrupted and that is why it is giving you problems. And to solve the same you have to just uninstall the same and then install it again and I guess if you will install the fresh copy of it then it will not give you any issues.

As said by you that your system is not able to read the .doc and .xls files then it is for sure that open office is not been installed properly it is not installed only. So first you have to check whether you have installed the open office on your system and if yes then check whether it is working properly or not. And if it is doing well then leave and if you found anything fishy then you have to just install an updated version of the same and I am sure that after installing the open office again will help your cause.

I would like to know something from you whether it is happening with each and every file or only some specific files. And if this problem is associated with only selected files that the files are definitely corrupted and that is the reason why they are not performing proper. And if this is the case then you have to remove the files because they may affect the other files also. And once these affected files are deleted then the open office will work as it was working earlier.