Thread: How to install XFCE

How to install XFCE

I installed Ubuntu for my mother on a Pentium III 500 Mhz. Gnome is really slow on this machine, but my mother is content. After 3 months, I would like to pass it has XFCE. But I do not want to install everything on Xubuntu install Ubuntu. Is it possible to install the packages necessary to transform Ubuntu in Xubuntu? Or install XFCE on Ubuntu? How? Just change source list? Thank you for your help.

Re: How to install XFCE

XFCE is a lightweight and fast desktop environment for UNIX operating systems. Despite its lightness and speed offers a significant usability and beauty. It’s easy to use and configure and is based on GTK2. If we want to install XFCE on our Ubuntu box we will launch the Terminal Applicazioni → Accessori → Terminale and type the following command: sudo apt-get installs xubuntu-desktop and ENTER. And then will start downloading all the required packages and is an operation that could last one or two minutes (ADSL). Once the process of downloading and installation, we will have to log out of the system. To do this simply clicks on the button to shut down the system and in the window that appears, click on End Session. In this position the pointer on the Options at the bottom left and click on Select Session. In the window that appears after selection, select the Xfce Session. We will have to re-enter UserID and password. A window alarm puts us choices. E 'can be established that Xfce is the DE to be used only for the current session or cancel the entire operation to ensure that Xfce is the default DE. After making the appropriate choice. At this point you start XFCE and will appear in its lightness and beauty.

The lightness, beauty and the graphic synthesis of XFCE are known throughout the Linux community and Open Source, and certainly deserve to be tested on their computer. XFCE is suitable for older computers with few resources i.e. PC and laptop with PIII 500MHz processor and higher, 128 MB of RAM giving them the power and efficiency than other systems, and DE were taken away from them. This desktop manager than what I'm missing and 'convenient luminosity applet' that you can 'add to the gnome panel, the ability' to drag on the desktop shortcuts to programs.

I downloaded the xubuntu-desktop_1.32_i386.deb and I double-clicked to install it. But now that the installer package informs me: "Error: dependency is Not satisfiable: abiword. Now I see that the package abiword is the first in the list of other packages related to xubuntu-desktop on the page you gave me. Does this mean that I must download all these packages before you can install xubuntu-desktop or is there another way?