Thread: modprobe error Fatal: Could not load / lib / modules /... : no such file or directory

modprobe error Fatal: Could not load / lib / modules /... : no such file or directory

Compiling a 2.6 kernel (2.6.0/1/2) the following error appears:
    Jan 8 16:01:23 localhost modprobe: FATAL: Could not load / lib/modules/2.6.2-0.rc1.1mdk/modules.dep: No such file or directory
    and sometimes I get
    modprobe error Fatal: Could not load / lib / modules / kernelnr / modules.dep: no such file or directory
    There will be no modules loaded. Anyone over there has an idea on what to do? Have I forgotten anything? I am tried to do lot of different things to resolve this issue, even I tried to search it on web, but all in vein. I am really hoping for some help from your side soon as possible.

Re: modprobe error Fatal: Could not load / lib / modules / kernelnr / modules.dep: no such file or directory

Well, the kernel config tool to change the nature of the kernel name (custom kernel or something like that), that is not accidentally overwrite existing files. This applies equally to the module paths. Look if there more under / lib / modules / ... According to me, I think it's a simple mix-up because /lib/modules/2.6.35-22-generic/ exists, but /lib/modules/2.6.35-22/ doesn't exist. I think that there you will find something.

Re: modprobe error Fatal: Could not load / lib / modules / kernelnr / modules.dep: no such file or directory

I am also having similar type of issue. When booting the PC announces first: modprobe: FATAL could not load lib/modules/2.6.35-22 generic / modules.dep No such file or directory. However, this does not cause major problems. Right time, it can be until it spits out the following error :
    [20.912510] 0000:00:18.3 k10temp: unreliable CPU thermal sensor; monitoring disabled
    Anyone here know how to stop that? My System: AMD Phenom 9550 Quad with Ubuntu 10.10.

After editing / etc / initramfs-tools / initramfs.conf (sudo gedit / etc / initramfs-tools / initramfs.conf in the console) and changing the line "MODULES = most" to "MODULES = dep" I think it is enough to run "sudo update-initramfs-u" instead of reinstalling initramfs using synaptic. I have heard that this trick worked for many users. Changing the text file initramfs.conf MODULES = most to MODULES = dep in order. Then the command: sudo update-initramfs-u. Maybe your problem will get resolved.

I'm just here to write a script to install my remastered Knoppix to HD. I will write here a short time leading to the above error message. Is possibly for all, this message also quite interesting. As I suspect is also greets me this beautiful message at every boot of the Knoppix HD. The sample begins with the fact that you must generate a new initrd as soon as you install Knoppix to HD, since the minirt.gz of Knoppix is not suitable. The tool for creating a new initial RAM disk, since mkinitrd was obsolete (at least not the debian lists in its repos) is now mkinitramfs and is in the package initramfs-tools. Now this tool seems well to have a bug, because it always created in my case an initrd in the plain and simple modules.dep the file is missing. The error message refers not to the current system, but only to the initrd. To get rid of the annoying message remains one that is nothing else than the file by hand to bring modules.dep in the initrd. The initrd is a cpio packed with gzip archive. In order to unpack this one can proceed success:
    Rename initrd.gz
    gunzip inird.gz
    then we generated in the delay in which the now unpacked initrd another delay is bel name and changes to this delay. This delay performed with the command
    cpio-iv <.. / initrd
    This creates delay in the previously created the file structure of the initial RAM disk. Now copy the file from the running system modules.dep to / lib / modules / kernelnr the initrd file structure. Now, the initrd only be packed again this ensure successful command:
    find. | Cpio-oH newc | gzip -9> .. / initrd.gz
    This is a new initrd.gz can then be designated as times, such as Debian Like initrd.img-Kernelnr. and then copy to / boot. From that point, the annoying error message history.

In the debian-bug # 465 760 a permanent solution is proposed to but that was not implemented, unfortunately ... you can but do yourself easily by the appropriate line (see below for the + before it) in place (see below the lines before and after those with the +) is inserted. Then once more (with root privileges) :
    update-initramfs-u
    The next time you reboot and have the annoying messages module.dep away.
    [Extract from / usr / sbin / mkinitramfs from around line 160:]

for d in bin conf / conf.d etc lib / modules sbin scripts $ {} MODULESDIR, Thu
    mkdir-p "$ {DESTDIR} / $ {d}"
    done

+ Touch "$ {DESTDIR} / $ {MODULESDIR} / modules.dep"

# MODULES = list case. Always good.
    for x in "$ {CONFDIR} / modules" / usr / share / initramfs-tools / modules.d / *, Thu