Thread: VPN not connecting on Linux Mint 10

VPN not connecting on Linux Mint 10

I have installed Linux Mint 10 on my desktop machine I want to connect this machine to my home network through VPN. I am running Windows 7 operating system at home along with the Thomson ST546 router. I have successfully setup an incoming connection on my home machine by opening the port 1723 on router. I have tried creating the VPN connection from my iPhone but same thing does not works when I try it from the Linux Mint 10. I am getting error as "The VPN connection 'VPN connection 1' failed".

Re: VPN not connecting on Linux Mint 10

If you want to connect to a openvpn server, install the OpenVPN client. Now configure your access by following the given path. Go to the Menu → System → Preferences → Network Connections. Switch to VPN tab → Import the configuration if you received it, or click on add and configure it to connect. The first step in building an OpenVPN 2.0 configuration is to establish a PKI. PCI works with:
    • A public key server and a private key for each client
    • A certificate of the Certification Authority and master keys that are used for identification (sign, identify ...) each server and client certificate.

If an OpenVPN server running, it is not hard to connect. The trail is described here for Debian / Ubuntu (Linux), Windows and MacOS. First download a GUI for OpenVPN on the computer. First you have to install OpenVPN

Code:
    sudo apt-get install openvpn
    Then, the files client.conf , clientX.crt , clientX.key , ca.crt in the Directory / Etc / openvpn / must be copied. Then

Code:
    sudo / etc / init.d / openvpn restart
    and the connection should be run. You can test this by pinging the VPN server:

Code:
    ping 10.8.0.1
    Now the connection each time the system is automatic. If that is not desired, you should disable rcconf (via apt) to install, run, and the openvpn service. Manually, the connection can then

Code:
    openvpn / etc / openvpn / client.conf

OpenVPN offers a number of authentication features. The user can, depending on requirements, between shared secret or certificate authentication plugin choose. Combinations of all possible methods to each other. Shared secret authentication is for small peer to peer VPN installations where it does not matter if multiple peers the same key. A much safer method of authentication provide X.509 client certificates dar. Here, the client must show a valid certificate in order to log on the VPN. The overall security of this solution is but from the client certificate store influenced significantly. The complex encryption and authentication methods are relatively easy to manage with OpenVPN. A configuration file controls all the important settings.

OpenVPN follows the classical client / server approach. An OpenVPN client initiates a connection to the OpenVPN server. The OpenVPN server has presented his X.509 certificate that the client checks for authenticity. This is done using the public key of the issuing Certificate Authority (CA). The OpenVPN server was found to be authentic, is the first Level of client authentication one. If the authentication of the client with an X. 509 client certificate, the server checks the certificate sent by the client using the public keys of the issuing CA. If the client certificate is valid and not in a Certificate Revocation List (CRL) of the CA, this authentication stage completed and encrypted connection can begin. Default, be using SSL / TLS session keys negotiated dynamically. Upstream and downstream each use to encrypt and sign their own keys.

If a configured shared secret, the authentication is coupled to the encryption. Without the right key to an encrypted connection can be established. In the shared key variant, a shared key (actually there are 4 keys) used to encrypt the data packets and sign. Optional now, a further authentication method (plugin) to start. The client sends the server the user name and password, which checks the plugin and returns the result to the OpenVPN server. This authentication is successful, the client may participate in the VPN.

The client obtains its private address from the server and get all the necessary settings (DNS, WINS, etc.) communicated via the tunnel. As tunnel endpoints are virtual interface (TUN / TAP) was used. The routing table of the client will now be manipulated so that all packages are sent through the tunnel.

On the server side to communicate over a virtual interface is handled. The tunneled IP packets are "unpacked" and then with network address translation (NAT) to one or more addresses (address pool) translated in the local network.