Thread: wifi, battery, and screen brightness on Linux Mint 10

wifi, battery, and screen brightness on Linux Mint 10

I have just bought a new HP Pavilion dv laptop on which I have installed the Linux Mint 10 operating system. I am having some probs on this operating system regarding the wifi, battery, and screen brightness. Starting with the Wifi, I am not at all able to get an internet connection on this machine but I guess I will soon find out it. I would like to ask you guys that is there any program that can show me the battery icon like I am having a clock icon. Very annoying problem I have seen on it is when I change the screens brightness as it forces me to reboot for taking its effects.

Re: wifi, battery, and screen brightness on Linux Mint 10

I think you don't need any program to have battery icon in front on your screen along with the clock icon as it should be there by default on your laptop. I have a doubt that you have connected your laptop with the power adapter due to which the battery icon disappears until you disconnect it. I suggest you to check running your laptop only on battery and check that it shows battery icon or not. I guess it should show it.

I have seen the same problem on my machine when I was using the Linux Mint operating system as it was showing disconnected in front of network icon. But the solution which I found is very much simple. Actually you just need to press the F12 key which will make disabled from the disconnected and then as soon as your machine finds any network then it will show you pop up about the same so you can choose for the network to have an internet connection enabled on your laptop.

The configuration of the WLAN is usually done using a graphical interface on distributions such as MEPIS, Debian or Ubuntu. However, the configuration console allows for an optimal configuration without error. To do this, you must have administrator rights. Before you begin configuring the wifi, you need to know if the wireless card (PCI, PCMCIA or USB) is recognized. To do this, simply start a console:
    Code:
    # Iwconfig
    Often, the cards appear as wlan0 or wlan1, but they may appear as eth1. If your card is not recognized, it will have to install the Windows driver with ndiswrapper aided.

Before installing the driver is required, it should get it. Sometimes, the driver supplied on the CD with the USB drive does not work. We must therefore download a website. To find out, you can visit the site of ndiswrapper and the drivers list . Indications are given for most wireless cards: it is noted if the driver is available, if the driver CD-ROM to be used or another driver available for download and use what driver version (Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows 2000, Windows XP). When you have the driver, you can start the installation. The installation process begins by copying the folder containing the drivers on your hard drive. We must go to the folder where your driver is:

Code:
    # Cd / home / yourname / WindowXP / Drivers 

# Ls
    then you command to check if the previous modules are updated :

Code:
    # Ndiswrapper-i pilote.inf 

# Depmod-a 

# Modprobe ndiswrapper
    Last command loads the ndiswrapper module into the Linux kernel

Code:
    # Ndiswrapper-m
    This command changes the module to take into account the driver. You can check if your driver is installed by doing:

Code:
    # Ndiswrapper-l

Here I have provided the code for Network configuration. Wlan0 is our wireless network. It is sufficient to do:
    Code:
    # Ifconfig 
    # Ifconfig wlan0 up 
    # Iwlist wlan0 scan 
    # Iwconfig wlan0 essid "Votre_ESSID"
    Where is your ESSID Votre_ESSID you find on your box. then
    Code:
    # Iwconfig wlan0 key votreclewep
    If you have a WEP key. Then connect to your router,
    Code:
    # Dhcpcd-d wlan0
     or 
    # Dhclient
    According to the protocol. Normally, an IP address should appear on the console: your wireless card is connected to your box. Attention, with the Orange Livebox, it must be put together.