Thread: Linux Mint 10 forces for Low Graphic Mode after logout

Linux Mint 10 forces for Low Graphic Mode after logout

I was using this Linux Mint 10 operating system on my laptop from quite long time and never had any big issues. But last night I had some problem while logging out after which this operating system know only to log in with the low graphic mode. I have tried it many time but it always shows that I need to run it in the low graphic mode. If I am trying to run it with some other mode then it gets stuck!

Re: Linux Mint 10 forces for Low Graphic Mode after logout

I guess your operating system have got corrupted due to which it might not be letting you logging with any other mode then low graphic mode. I suggest you to reinstall the whole operating system on your machine once again and then check that it works properly or not. I suggest you to take full backup of your data so that you don't miss anything after installing a new OS. And even if you miss then you restore the backup at any time.

From a terminal, type startx. If it does not matter at all, you forgot to install X. .. Install it, or if you prefer, start installing your distro in update mode. If it starts, then it crashed, is that X is misconfigured. Depending on your distribution, type xf86config, Xconfigurator ConfigX, XF86Setup, XFdrake (Mandriva) yast (SuSE) xf86cfg (XFree 4.02), or excellent hwd-xa (which generates an xorg.conf file ready to use if you installed the program hwd). My little goes Xconfigurator, comes with Redhat, which detects the graphics card and mouse. XFdrake is his cousin chart on Mandrake, and hwd-xa excellent alternative tool.

If it gets stuck, you must edit the file / etc/X11/xorg.conf (if using Xorg) (or / etc/X11/XF86Config, sometimes without / X11 / if you're still using XFree86) by hand, making sure helping error messages written by X / var/log/Xorg.0.log (if using Xorg). Errors are easily spotted because always preceded by an (EE). Do not panic, the 2 conf files (xorg & XF86) have exactly the same syntax A good doc, and good luck! See man xorg.conf (5x) (or XF86Config) and the man of your X server For example, it may have to add options such as linear or noaccel or limit the memory to 14 or 16 MB of RAM (VESA or ISA cards).

Other sources of problems: X does not exist. Create it by cd / usr/X11R6/bin and then ln-s monserveurX (create a symbolic link from X to monserveurX). The server in question is called something like XF86_SVGA in the same directory. Other case, X exists, but points to a bad X server (can be detected by ls-l / usr/X11R6/bin/X):
    Code:
    rm / usr/X11R6/bin/X then ln-s monserveurX. in / usr/X11R6/bin /.
    Many newer cards have a specific X server (XBF for Intel 740 ...) and specific instructions for use.

On Debian, the trigger level is 2. The graphical bootloader is started by creating a symbolic link: cd / etc/rc2.d then ln-s .. / init.d / kdm S99kdm for example if the link does not exist. That is how the authors of distributions complicate the life of Linux users and documentation writers. This will launch the default xdm (check one row at end of file launches xdm), or better, kdm if you correctly set the line that was launched by the level 5. For the window manager by default, create a file $ HOME / .xsession (useless for kdm) and make it executable (chmod-x). Lay out the name of your favorite WM.