Thread: Update Manager or sudo aptitude full-upgrade which one is correct?

Update Manager or sudo aptitude full-upgrade which one is correct?

I have the Linux Mint 10 running here on my system and let me tell you that it is really better with its earlier version. Now regarding the issue that I wanted to get clarified. I have two things here with me Update Manager and the sudo aptitude full-upgrade. I really do not know which one is giving me the correct result or which one should I go with. I tried to see for the updates and I first gave a try to Update Manager there but it told me that there is nothing new to be updated but when I tried to see for the updates using the sudo aptitude full-upgrade via command line it showed me that some of the upgradable packages. Please let me know which one is the correct thing among the above two here.

Re: Update Manager or sudo aptitude full-upgrade which one is correct?

The Update manager actually functions like apt-get upgrade, the meaning for this is that it will upgrade the packages and if it feels the necessity it will also install the additional packages. I am of the opinion that this much about the Update Manager is clear; also in addition to that it will not upgrade the packages that will be requiring removal of some components and hence it seems to me that you are able to see the upgradable packages when running the sudo aptitude full-upgrade. I think that I have cleared the doubt about the same in a much nice manner here.

. Let me tell you that if you are asking between the two then I would say that using the Update Manager will be the best thing to go with. It will let you know about the things that you need to install and will set the things according to the requirement of the system. Well if you want you can keep the both the things in your case and then can use the sudo aptitude full-upgrade at the end of the WEEK. I do not think that you will be able to search for the updates manually every now and then and hence I think that it will be the best move to go with here.

It totally depends on what type of update you want to have installed in your case here. The Update Manager for the Linux Mint is only capable of taking the updates for the Level 1 to 3 and if the updates are above this then you will be not able to have this working in your case there. Well if you will go with the Command Line and will make use of the sudo aptitude full-upgrade there then you will be able to get all the updates installed in your case here. So if you want me to make the choice then it will be really better to go with the second option that you have asked for in your above post there.

I am of the opinion that you are not fully aware about all the options of the Update Manager and hence you are getting the trouble here. Well it seems to me that you have not configured your Update Manager there to take the updates for the Level 4 and the Level 5 there. It will be great if you can make this option available in your case there. After doing this you will be not required to make search for the updates manually and you will not be required to make use of the command line and sudo aptitude full-upgrade here. Click on Edit tab and then Click on the Preferences option in the Update Manager. By default there you will see tick in front of levels from 1 to 3 and hence you are getting the updates based on that scenario. If you will check the fourth and the fifth option there then you will start to get updates for that level as well. After making the update just refresh Update Manager and see if you can get the updates for you there. Please let me get notified after trying the things that has been suggested here.

For sure if you will ask for the vote then I will make it for the Linux Mint Update Manager. If you do not know let me tell you that you can get the automatic updates disabled if you will uncheck this option Check for updates there; but let me tell you that it will be great if you can avoid this there. Now let me tell you that you should not tick the Level 4 and the Level 5 update in the Preference. As already mentioned this type of update requires removal of some of the package and you will be not informed about the same. So it will be better if you can get this option unchecked. The things that are done as default are done keeping the standard things in mind and if you do not want to lose those packages then please see for this suggestion.