Thread: Having laptop with inbuilt Windows XP but not have CD

Having laptop with inbuilt Windows XP but not have CD

I am using a Acer laptop with operating system Windows XP pro, I got the laptop with an Windows XP pro serial but no disk, I only received restore disk and I am unable to control the setup on it, it sets up windows on FAT32 and I am unable to modify it, and the partitions are not to my liking. Can I arrange my laptop settings with a standard windows disk and the serial on my laptop? This same problem I am facing with my computer. I have a Windows XP home serial but no windows disk. If anyone have idea about this so please reply.

re: Having laptop with inbuilt Windows XP but not have CD

As per my knowledge computer manufacturers are permitted to modify their OEM version of Windows XP as they observe fit. They make a customized restore disk that permits a user to restore their computer to the way it was when received from the company. If you do not wish this, then you can think purchasing a usual copy of Windows XP and make use of it and its associated Product Key to put back your customized OEM version the computer maker installed.

As I have seen that most end users are oblivious to why and how a computer manufacturer sets up their Windows XP installations the way that they do because as a regulation it makes no dissimilarity in how these users actually use the computer. The laptop manufacturer that IME gives the great flexibility to the end user when using an imaging based recovery process is Sony. Their recovery process permits the end user to regulate the sizes of the C and D partitions of this hard drive within certain limits.

If your condition or personal first choice needs more granular control over the installation of the operating system, then you have only one option is to buy a retail or OEM copy of windows XP separately. Considerate the restrictions and advantages of every option, and install the operating system to your liking. Some laptop manufacturers do trade their laptops without operating systems previously installed, so if you require the control as above but don't wish to pay again for an operating system, shop with those manufacturers that will sell without an operating systems. Dell used to have an Nseries line that sell without an operating system, but I have no idea what they are following now.