Thread: A few noobs question on Linux Mint

A few noobs question on Linux Mint

I have certain doubts on the first time use of Linux Mint. I want to clearify the same before getting more confused. This are just noob questions which are easy to tackle. Like the first is that can I upgrade from Linux Mint 10 RC 10 and stable Linux Mint without reinstalling. I know this is possible but just want to confirm the causes of this. Second thing upgrade a higher verison of mint without loosing my files. Does the icons will also be upgraded. Is there a issue when you try to direct update the desktop. If yes the what I can assume for that. I can not see the application icons in the Device Manager software, where are they. There is a lot of change made on the screen of this new operating system. What about dual boot support on Mint.

Re: A few noobs question on Linux Mint

Yes you can upgrade that without installing. For that you just need to apply any updates to Level 1 and 2 that appear in the Update Manager. The icon size is now expressed in pixels. Right click on the menu, go to Preferences and change at will the size of the icons for favorite applications, systems and locations (I personally recommend 48, 22, 16, 16). It is correct that there might be a issue with the update of mintdesktop. But now it has been corrected. But still it can affects you because you are upgrading to the new version of the operating system. For freeing the issue empty file in / etc / gdm / PostLogin / default and then proceed with the upgrade. You will not face any error at the time of upgrade. I also want to tell you that Mint 10 includes mint4win.
    Linux Mint Beginner Guide

Sometime you will also face a common issue of the update manager. You might think where it is on it. But remember that Update Manager only runs on the installed systems. It will not show up on the LiveCD. There is no user guide provided ro the new system. You might need to wait more for that. The icons of the applications are in the package of icons mintInstall. There are more correction needed to be made on this. It is better recommended that you must try a Linux DVD for that. It will give you more options than what you do not found on a LiveCD. A CD edition lacks some VLC, Samba, DejaVu fonts F-Spot, mintInstall application icons, java, openoffice.org-base, etc. So you must upgrade to the dvd version of the same.

There is a issue of flash also on the new operating system. For that do not forget to use mint-flashplugin 32 bits and "mint-flashplugin-x64. They both offer the latest version of Adobe's Flash Plaza. Ubuntu packages are not recommended for this. This is because they tend to use the outdated and then run the same on on 32-bit mode or 64-bit. So that can be the cause of error on your system. Do not install these packages in Linux Mint unless you are experiencing problems with flash or crashes Firefox. Keep a eye on the regular updates for the Mint there are more fixes provided on this. Those updates are very crucial for Mint stability.

It looks that Mint is trying to imitate Mac. With products like the iPod, iPhone and iPad Mac has a very wide audience. This trend is also followed by Ubuntu and Microsoft Windows, simply reflects the demand and popularity of this type of look. Mac has a very great and improved display quality. Looking at the Web 2.0 there has no change in the appearance. Today operating system are designed to give a more catchy look on the screen. It is difficult to change the size of the windows at the moment. With a small Windows program called mint4win is possible to install Linux Mint on the same partition as Windows, saving you the work of creation and / or resizing partitions. All you have to do is download and burn a CD Linux Mint and then use the tool to run the setup.

Yes mint4win is a nice tiny application that can install this on your windows without troubling the operating system This means that you can uninstall it like any other software. It is noted in the section Add / Remove Programs. The graphical interface allows you to modify several options. Remember that the option of Desktop environment is very important. Click on Install and follow the onscreen instructions. Select Linux Mint and complete the installation. If you get the option to import files and preferences of your Windows, it would be best not to, and you'd be copying files that are easily accessible from Linux Mint.