Thread: My first time setup of dual boot failed on Vista

My first time setup of dual boot failed on Vista

I need some help to fix the issue out. I have a desktop that come with Windows Vista. I got a 250GB partition in which a 20gb is reserved for the factory partition. The other space is empty. It is the location for Windows Vista. I create more partitions out of it. Now I want to install Windows XP on that. I did that but then my system just gives out a black screen. Does the system is corrupted. I only have a chance to run System recovery. If did that it will wipe out everything and leave nothing. Before that what can be done here. Why this has cause and is there any tool to fix this.

Re: My first time setup of dual boot failed on Vista

There is a group of users who want to install on one computer Windows Vista and Windows XP. However, it is not easy, especially if the computer is new and came with Vista pre loaded and the changes made to your bootloader complicate the installation of previous versions. It is best to first install Windows XP and then Vista, leaving the latter to detect the previous installation and automatically create the boot menu. However, the options in this menu, such as the default operating system or the waiting time before starting to load are difficult to change for the average user, but can do nothing with the intuitive command BCDEdit or VistaBootPro . This are two best tools that I found to create my own dual boot system. Yo must have a look on the feature and support of this tools.

If you want to install Windows XP over Windows Vista then you must keep in mind that during this process the installation will destroy the boot file of Vista, even though the files remain intact. In that case you will need to rebuild the Vista Boot Manager once the installation of XP and then add the entry that allows you to boot any of the two systems. So by that you can fix the dual boot system and make things work here. For that disconnect all removable drives like usbport of your computer and insert the Vista installation dvd.If necessary, modify the boot options in the setup of the computer BIOS to boot from the DVD. When the installation interface, choose the language, keyboard, and then click Repair your computer link. Typically, Vista will detect and fix the problems from this moment and then ask to restart.

It is possible that sometime even after inserting the bootable disc nothing happen. I tried his before when once my boot manager was damaged and there was no boot on the screen. For that there are several options that you must try like Startup Repair. The program will search for problems, fix and restart the computer. If still the same do not fix your issue then you can use the command prompt to fix the issue. Boot from CD and then run Command Prompt. In the command window, change the DVD drive and and change the folder \ Boot and then type the line Bootsect / nt60 C: where C is the letter of the drive before where you had installed Windows Vista. This will repair the boot file and your system might start working back.

Use EasyBCD to add Windows XP to the boot list. Run this software. On the main screen, click the Add / Remove entries and then go to the bottom. From there choose the operating system to add. In this case select the tab with the Windows icon and the Type drop-down list will choose the version you install. If desired, change the name suggested by someone else who prefers to use to identify your operating system. Click Add Entry. After that you can change the boot configuration by setting the default operating system and the waiting time before starting, by clicking the Change Settings button. Do not forget to change your changes by clicking Save Settings. If your decision to keep both operating systems is due to maintain compatibility with a few simple programs and hardware is robust enough, it may be advisable to consider using a virtual machine like Virtual PC 2007 from Microsoft is now free.

EasyBCD is a load manager designed for Windows operating system but also create profiles for operating systems such as Linux and Mac. So here you can try this tool on other operating systems also. Due to its cross platform support this software is widely accepted. The program generates different files to load, which makes backup as well as the dependencies. If in the future will adjust the load of the operating system, adding a new entry. In computers that comes with factory installed Windows Vista, usually ATA disk and if you want to install another operating system like Windows XP then you will face problems where it does not detects the hard drive. This is because the BIOS disable the use of SATA. At that time this software can be used.