Thread: Windows XP license is unable to transfer

Windows XP license is unable to transfer

I am facing one problem with my old computer of HP which has inbuilt Windows XP Pro when I purchased it, it is damaged due to electrical fault in power supply and both Hard drive and motherboard were damaged. Now, this old computer includes a Windows XP Pro installer disk, if I purchase a new computer can I use this installer disk and install Windows XP Pro to my new computer? Or do I require buying another Windows XP license?

Re: Windows XP license is unable to transfer

Trade licenses for windows XP are not tied to hardware. You able to install a full retail license of windows XP on as many computers as you wish to, as long as it is activated on single computer at a time. In the case of an upgrading retail license of windows XP, if the earlier Windows product being upgraded by the windows XP installation was a complete retail license, you can go to the upgrade license of windows XP to as many computers as you want to, as long as it is worked on single computer at a time.

As per my knowledge there are other important differences between windows XP OEM licenses and retail licenses that are as follows: Support for windows XP is provided by Microsoft in the case of retail licenses, and from the computer manufacturer in the case of OEM licenses. And another that Your End User Licensing Agreement is between Microsoft and user in the case of retail licenses and between you and the computer manufacturer in the case of OEM licenses.

If you are purchasing a new computer from a main manufacturer, usually you would expect it to already come with some edition of windows XP installed, which would be an OEM license. If you are going to build it yourself or are purchasing a system from a local system manufacturer, you can purchase either an OEM license, or a full retail license. But you are right in that retail licenses can travel to a latest computer when the previous one dies, or for any cause. Retail licenses can be shifted from one computer to the next computer without limit.