Thread: Swap and default install of linux mint 10 using full drive of the system

Swap and default install of linux mint 10 using full drive of the system

I recently had a full installation for of the linux mint 10. I also opted the option to use the full drive. Well I wanted to know does this option creates any swap partition. If it creates then what is the size of the partition. If it does not make then can I make one? The reason I am asking this is because first I had a mint 10 along with the mint 9 which I had double booted. So at that time I had observed that the mint 10 was much faster than it is now. So that’s why I needed to know. Any suggestions then do let me know.

Re: Swap and default install of linux mint 10 using full drive of the system

Looking at the first query that whether the option creates partition disk or not. Then what you can do is to check from the terminal, if the necessary partition is done or not. So what you can do is that enter this following code
    Code: Select all
    wayne@inspiron580s-desktop ~ $ cat /etc/fstab | grep swap
    From this query you will get to know whether there is partition or not.

Well the above command will get you the swap location. So once you have got the swap location then what you have to do is to type the following sudo fdisk -l /dev/sda5 in order to check how much size is that of the partition. So for that you have to type the following code
    Code: Select all
    wayne@inspiron580s-desktop ~ $ sudo fdisk -l /dev/sda5 |grep Disk
    This will show you the exact memory of the partition.

Well in order to know how big your swap is then I have another option to locate it. What you can do is try the following steps
    1) Firstly you have to press the alt+ F2
    2) Then you have to start running the system monitor.
    3) Under that you can click on the resource tab.
    So I hope you have got all your doubts cleared.

Hey thanks a lot for the solutions that you have provided. Well let me tell you have each and every steps that you have suggested have worked for me. Right now I am cleared out with all my doubts and I am able to double boot the system again and also the mint 10 is working really very well with the new partition of the system. So all thanks to you guys for helping me solve my issue.