Thread: Entering root password in script on Mint 10

Entering root password in script on Mint 10

From last one year I have been using Linux Mint9 operating system installed on my desktop but as soon as new version of Mint operating system was released I upgraded my operating system. After upgrading to a new operating system, I have got new tools and technique also the performance of the system has been increased. From last few days I am facing problem with my Mint 10 operating system whenever I use to delete any folder. After selecting the folder which I want to delete and by pressing the delete button from the keyboard so that the computer should shut down then it prompts a dialog box to enter the root password. I am trying the below given code in the terminal and facing problem. I need a solution so that I can troubleshoot this problem.

Re: Entering root password in script on Mint 10

You can resolve the problem of entering password for shut down script by editing the /etc/sudoers file. To solve this problem you may need to follow the steps given below:
    1. First you need to take the backup. To take the backup you may need to type the command given below:
      Code:
      cd /etc
      sudo cp -v sudoers sudoers.bak
    2. We should always make use of visudo command to edit the sudoers file. The code in the sudoers file should be error free. To edit the sudoers file you may type the following command in the terminal window
      Code:
      sudo visudo
    3. You need to leave an empty line at the bottom of the sudoers file and enter your user name thus the command is given below:
      Code:
      <user name > ALL=NOPASSWD: /sbin/shutdown
    4. Then save the sudoers file and exit from it by pressing Ctrl+x command. Now you can enter the blow given command and it will start working without asking for password.
      Code:
      wipe -rf delete_folder ; sudo shutdown -h now
    5. Thus the system will shut down after deleting the desired folder.

Thanks for providing me the solution. From the above given solution I have edited the user name in the sudoers file without any password and saved it. Now the system can shut down easily thus it doesn’t prompts for the password. While using mint10 operating system sometimes I am getting “cannot execute “/etc/init.d/boot” error message. I tried restarting the system so that this error message could be resolved but failed. When I started the system next time after sometimes the error message appeared again and therefore I need a solution so that I can troubleshoot this problem thus the system can go a long way.

If you are getting “cannot execute “/etc/init.d/boot” error message then sometimes your booting process may be halted or many a times you may not be able to access certain data stored on the hard disk. You can solve this error message by reinstalling the system. Suppose that you are not having any backup then in that case you can use the Mint 10 Data Recovery application to solve this error. You can solve this error by running the “fdisk” command in the terminal window. The fdisk command will detect and repair file system errors. Also you need to make sure that the partition is not mounted. If the partition is mounted then in that case also you may getting this error message. You can then resolve the error by unmounting the partition.