Thread: Need information about Grub2

Need information about Grub2

I have got a desktop system, I am using Linux Ubuntu operating system. However I was bit concerned about grub2.It will mean a number of alterations in the way the older grub manages the booting . Please let me tell you that I have no idea about these grub2 is used about , so I will be the first of many users to say this thing in this forum . I am trying to get knowledge from as much resources , but I found your forum the most useful, so I have posted this query in this technical forum. So I will be grateful if you could tell me and feed me some basic information about this newer version of grub called as grub 2.

Re: Need information about Grub2

The first thing that I become aware of this version that it misses the ability to utilize exclusive identifiers in the "root" line.Inorder to upgrade to GRUB 2 , you will need to install the grub-pc package. This grub-pc package can be installed with Synaptic or typing the command mentioned below. Once the installation starts s, a simple script will direct the user through the rest of the process of installing it :
    Code:
    sudo aptitude install grub-pc

Before installing GRUB 2, refresh the storehouse indexes to guarantee the machine has the most recent update list. This is usually done with the help of sudo aptitude update command , that you are required to type in a terminal or else you will have to maintain a lists in a GUI package manager , example for such package manager is Synaptic. Older GRUB packages might not have updates which have fixed numerous bugs in the previous versions of the installer.

If you wish to upgrade your grub to grub 2 from the legacy grub , I think it is a lot easier. Upgrading to GRUB 2 from GRUB (legacy) in Ubuntu 9.10 or earlier versions is relatively easy. Prominently, the upgrade provides a procedure to guarantee GRUB 2 will work on your system before the user consigns to a full change. However that the programmers made a choice to not make use of an automatic update to GRUB 2 as the default on upgrade installs. For the people who opt to upgrade to Ubuntu 9.10 may still make the use of the earlier version of GRUB if they want to .

GRUB 2 is not only by default boot loader but also the default boot manager for operating systems such as Linux Ubuntu 10.04 and its other onwards versions and it is also the boot loader of many other operating systems many other operating systems. As the computer turns on , GRUB 2 either shows a menu and waits for the user to give input or without human intervention transfers the kernel of the operating system . . GRUB 2 is a successor of GRUB which is also called as Grand Unified Bootloader . It has been totally rewritten to give the user considerably increased suppleness and performance. You will be so glad to know that GRUB 2 is a software that is available free of cost.

When you are having more than one operating system and if you are working with GNU/Linux distributions on the same computer , let me tell you that or you should be aware that other distributions particularly OpenSuse and Fedora operating systems have not essentially chosen to Grub 2 yet which may make difficult Grub 2 configuration. If you want to know the version of your grub then you can use the command grub-install -v. Anywasys you can postback if you need information in detail, wish you happy new year.