Thread: Unable to boot Linux Mint from the Flash Drive

Unable to boot Linux Mint from the Flash Drive

Well I have recently started to use Linux mint. I have created the copy of the live CD and installed into my pen drive. I don’t know what went wrong? And I am unable to boot the OS while connecting the USB drive with my computer. However I am able to boot the OS while connecting the USB drive with my laptop. When I try to start without the USB drive then it forwards me to GRUB rescue? Please help me on this issue.

Re: Unable to boot Linux Mint from the Flash Drive

I think there is a problem occurred with MBR. Well MBR stand for the Master Boot Record. It is the 512 byte size boot sector on the hard disk. It may perform the following responsibilities. It contains the information about the Partition table. It performs the Boot Strapping of the operating system. According to your situation I conclude that you have written the GRUB over the MBR of the internal drive.

Usually GRUB2 is being installed on to the first internal hard drive. According to Linux naming convention it can be described as /dev/sda. Hence grub2 is located on the /dev/sda where as grub.cfg is located on the USB drive. First of all you have to know the name of the Flash drive . You can use the following command.
    Code:
    sudo fdisk –l
    It will list the name of devices where you have to search for the name. Now you have to install GRUB2 on your flash drive. You can use the following command
    Code:
    sudo grub-install /dev/sdx
    you have to write the name of the flash drive at the place of x. if any error occurs you can use the following one
    Code:
    grub-install --recheck /dev/sdx
    Above mentioned command will install GRUB2 on your flash drive. Now you have to install boot loader on your laptop. Use the following
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install lilo
    Now use the following one
    Code:
    sudo lilo -M /dev/sda mbr
    Make sure that you have to use this command as they are described above.

Well there are programs are available that will help you to modification in the Master Boot Record.One from them is ms-sys. It’s a free program available on the internet . so need to p[ay for the same. It’s Linux Program that writes boot records that are compatible to Microsoft. You will get full instruction guide to deal with ms-sys on the official website of this program. I hope ms-sys will be useful to you.

I think I know a program that it could be use to solve your problem and I am assured that it will definitely help you out from this situation. You can use LILO to solve your issue. Well LILO is default boot loader for the Linux based system. LILO can be placed into master boot record or into boot sector of the hard disk. I hope LILO will solve your problem just check it out on the internet and try the same.