Thread: Unable to use Mint 10 or LMDE from the DVD

Unable to use Mint 10 or LMDE from the DVD

Well I am having Asus X59GL laptop and I was using Mint 8 (Gnome, 32 bit) which was updated on the regular basis. Recently I have installed and downloaded from Linux Mint 10(64bit). I have copied into DVD and tried to boot the system. I was getting the desktop but unable to access icons or menu items from the menu bar. I am also having the LMDE DVD but same problem I am facing again. I have tried different ideas for the countless hours but everything wasted. Anyone having the some suggestions please reply for the same. Thanking you in advance

Re: Unable to use Mint 10 or LMDE from the DVD

I think you should enter the following line while you are booting from the CD. You should place the DVD into CD Rom and boot the DVD from it. It will ask for press any key to boot from the CD. 6 options will be displayed after pressing any key. You can press F6 or Tab from the keyboard to proceed. Now type nomodeset nolapic. Now you should press option for booting the system. I hope it will work for you.If the above mentioned code worked for you then can install the software and make sure that you have edited the GRUB with the above mentioned boot option. I hope it helps you out from the problem. Please let me know whatever result you got while using the above mentioned solution.

Well there is two more boot options that I know and that you can apply while booting the live DVD viz. nomodeset noacpi and nomodeset acpi=off. You can use anyone option if the option that is described into previous post is not working. Here also same you have to install and edit the GRUB if it is worked for you. Just try it the same. According to me it will definitely solve your problem. Wish you all the best.

I am having certain steps that will store the splash nomodeset noapic permanently into your system. You have to edit the /etc/default/grub. For this purpose you have to use the following steps.gksudo gedit /etc/default/grub Now you have to change this line
    Code:
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"
    Now modify the line as per the following
    Code:
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash nomodeset noapic"
    Now you must save the file. Now at the terminal you have to run the following command.
    Code:
    sudo update-grub
    Now restart your computer and you won’t need to add
    Code:
    splash nomodeset noapic commad
    whenever you boot from the DVD.

I really want to say thank you for replying me. I don’t having any problem with LMDE and Linux Mint 10. It’s working perfectly. LMDE and Linux Mint is booting perfectly every time. I really want to appreciate for the efforts that you have put in. I also want to say thank you to everyone who had helped me to fix my problem. Your replies are highly appreciated by me. Thanking you again.