Thread: Setting root password in Linux Mint 10

Setting root password in Linux Mint 10

I just upgraded my Mint 9 operating system and installed Mint 10, and the first thing I did when I was able to log in was to change the password for the root account via term. However, when I run any user interface based app that requires elevated privileges I am forced to use the password that I typed in during the installation. I want to change the root password but I am unaware of the steps to change it and therefore need a solution which will help me in changing the root password. Can anyone help me out?

Re: Setting root password in Linux Mint 10

With the help of root level access you can gain the whole authorization of the system. As root password does not ask for old password. You can easily change the root level password in Linux mint platform by following the steps given below:
    1. You need to start the system and open the terminal window by going to the Application/accessories.
    2. In the terminal window you may need to type the command given below:
      Code:
      # passwd
      Where “passwd” is the new password and you need to confirm it. After the confirmation the root level password will be changed.

You can also change the root level password by following the steps given below:
    1. You need to boot the computer system with Linux Mint 10 Installation CD.
    2. After the system starts to boot you may need to enter into the Linux mint 10 Rescue mode by typing boot: Linux Mint 10 rescue in the boot screen.
    3. When the sh prompt is reached you may enter the following given command to change the root level password
      Code:
      chroot /mnt/sysimage 
      passwd
    4. Where “passwd” is the new password and the password will be rested to the new one.

I was unaware of the steps through which I can change the root password. Thanks for providing me the solution from the above given solution it was possible for me to change the root password easily without any problem. I wanted to know if there is some mechanism to recover the lost password. If yes then I need solution through I can reset the root password easily.

If you want to reset the root level password then you may follow the steps given below:
    1. You may need to restart the system and wait until “Grub loading” message appears which depends on your Linux distribution.
    2. When the grub’s main menu appears then you may need to select the kernel and then edit it by typing the “e” key from the keyboard.
    3. When the grub edit prompt will appear you can type the below given command to edit it.
      Code:
      grub edit> kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.18-1.2239.fc5smp ro root=LABEL=/ single
    4. press enter to save the settings and then boot the system by pressing the b key from the keyboard.
    5. The system will continue to boot and it will go straight to the root # prompt without first asking for a username and password.
    6. Type the below command to change the password
      Code:
      #passwd <give your new password>
    7. Also you may need to change the run-level using init command. The command is given below:
    8. # init 5. The password will be resetted.

It's true, it's very simple to add a root password after installing Mint, but you just use the "passwd" command by itself.

You must use "sudo passwd", or you will be denied access.