Thread: Troubleshooting auto-mount ntfs partition in Linux Mint 10

Troubleshooting auto-mount ntfs partition in Linux Mint 10

I am new to Linux mint10 operating system which I have installed last night. I was recommended that Mint10 operating system is more user-friendly than Ubuntu operating system. All well except for being unable to auto-mount ntfs partitions. Each time the ntfs partitions need to mount which they do. I have tried both ntfs-config and editing the /etc/fstab. With ntfs-config the user interface doesn’t come on as it used to in previous install. I need a solution so that I can troubleshoot this problem easily and mount ntfs partition easily without ant problem.

Re: Troubleshooting auto-mount ntfs partition in Linux Mint 10

If you are facing problem while mounting ntfs partition then you can easily troubleshoot this problem by following the steps given below:
    1. You need to make permanent home for the ntfs partition into which it can be stored. To make permanent home for the ntfs partition you may need to type the following command in the terminal window:
      Code:
      sudo mkdir /media/WinBackUp
    2. The above command will take the backup and it will be stored in the location given by you.
    3. After taking a backup you may need to add a line to the fstab by typing the command given below:
      Code:
      /dev/sda5 /media/WinBackUp ntfs defaults,nls=utf8,umask=007,uid=1000,gid=46 0 0
    4. Now you can type the below command in the fstab file which will mount the ntfs partition.
      Code:
      sudo mount –a
    5. Now the ntfs partition will be mounted automatically without any problem.

I was having problem with mounting ntfs partition on Linux Mint 10 platform. Whenever I tried to mount the ntfs partition then I was facing problem and the ntfs partition failed to mount. Thanks for providing me the solution from the above given solution it was possible for me to troubleshoot the ntfs mounting problem and the ntfs partition could be successfully mounted. I am having Microsoft windows XP operating system installed in another drive on my desktop. My ntfs partition has been corrupted and therefore I need a solution through which I can recover the corrupted ntfs partition without any problem.

NTFS partition table segments your hard drive into units that are read by the operating system to store your files and programs on your computer. If the ntfs partition table has been corrupted then the operating system will fail to boot. You can restore the ntfs partition table by following the steps given below:
    • You need to insert the operating system DVD into the DVD-ROM drive and restart the system. You need to press the space bar button from the keyboard when the system detects the boot DVD.
    • You may need to select the language and time zone and then click on the next button. You may need to click on “Repair your computer" to view a list of options.
    • You may need to click on "Command Prompt" to boot to the Windows command line utility. In the command prompt you may need to type "bootsect /fixboot" and press Enter key from the keyboard.
    • The ntfs partition will be repaired. Remove the installation DVD and the restart the system. now your system will boot properly.