Thread: Troubleshooting USB headset settings in alsamixer on Mint 10

Troubleshooting USB headset settings in alsamixer on Mint 10

I am a newbie to Linux platform and have just installed Linux mint10 CD version operating system on my system in a dual boot setup with Windows XP. I am having Logitech USB headphones for listening to music and it is also useful for the Skype application across the internet. From last few weeks, I am facing problems with my USB headphones. The problem is that the sound through the headphones is very faint at full volume. I have so far worked out that this is because, in alsamixer, the speaker setting for the USB headset is shown as 0<>0 and I can get proper sound by altering it. However the setting reverts to 0<>0 when I reboot. I need a solution which will help me in easily saving the USB headphone settings in alsamixer software.

Re: Troubleshooting USB headset settings in alsamixer on Mint 10

Alsamixer is graphical mixer software for the Advanced Linux Sound Architecture. Mainly it is used for adjusting and configuring sound settings, to adjust the volume etc. we can use multiple sound card with multiple devices by making use of Alsamixer software. Is your alsamixer is not saving the settings then in that case you must first identify the sound card. You can identify the sound card by starting the terminal window and typing the command given below:
    Code:
    cat /proc/asound/card0/codec#* | grep Codec
    and
    Code:
    aplay –L
    If you are having Gnome installed on your system then in that case you may user the command given below and the sound card information will be displayed.
    Code:
    gnome-alsamixer
    The above given command will install it and now you can save the settings in the alsamixer easily.

Once you have identified the sound card information then you can easily save the settings for USB headphone in alsamixer software. The steps to save settings for alsamixer software are given below:
    1. You need to edit the "alsa.conf" file so that the settings can be saved. To edit the "alsa.conf" you need to open the terminal window and type the command given below:
    2. gksudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf.
    3. After editing the "alsa.conf", you may need to add a last row in the file name by typing the command given below:
    4. options snd-hda-intel model=auto
    5. After typing the above steps given you may need to save it and then reboot the system. Now the settings for USB headphones will be saved in alsamixer software.

If the above solution has failed such as by entering auto has not worked then in that case you may just need to replace the auto and entering name of your computer in the options tag. After entering both the options you need to save it and restart the system. Now the settings will be automatically saved in the alsamixer software and you will not have to enter it again and again.