Thread: Linux mint will not access Windows from VMware

OMFG Linux mint will not access Windows from VMware

I run Linux Mint 10 on a Windows 7 machine and I use VMware Workstation 7.

I have tried everything I could think of or find on websites, but I cannot access my Windows 7 file folders from Linux Mint in the VMware Workstation running on that computer.

All the articvles about Samba talk about using it as a Server.
    The network shows as 192.168.15 on my computer, but 192.168.188 in Linux
    I have dried Bridged, Bridged with physical state, Nat, static, etc and have been working on this for 2 months without success.

Can anyone help this newbe?

Why does Linux not fix this so that it is easier to use????

Re: Linux mint will not access Windows from VMware

There cannot be a single reason for that. You have to try to mount a partition on Linux for sharing Windows files. For that first check that your firewall is not blocking your folders. Try to test first simple sharing. On Vmware there are less chances to view your shared folder. It depends on the virtualization application you are using.

OK. I got it to work. What a pain in the butt. The trick was to add the ip address of the virtual network ip address into Norton Internet security suite on the Windows 7 computer and authorize it. Then I got another popup asking me for my keyring authorization. I see nowhere (as a newbie) that my keyring is different from my login, but when the login did not work I tried the password I entered from my initial installation and that finally worked.

I have to say that though I got an inspired solution from your post and for that I say THANK YOU, it is similar to many posts around the forum that is NOT helpful by itself.

This is what I think should be posted:

1. Look up the ip address shown in the VMware under netstat tab invoked by running Network Tools under the Administration Windows of the version of Linux you are using.

2. Go to your Host system (Windows 7 in my case), go to your Security Suite or firewall, and add the ip address of the VMware Guest and authorize it.

3. Now go to the Linux in VMware and open a file browser. Click on Network, and it will show you your Windows Network. Log into the specific Workgroup or Active Directory Address, give it the password that is need for your Workgroup, then, if a Keyring is asked for, use the ORIGINAL password you entered when first installing Linux Mint.

That may not always be known or work for everyone, but it at least gives enough details so a newbie has a shot.

Thank you again for your inspiration.

Albert

I have to repeat, why is it so difficult for newbies to do all the things that are necessary?

We need better, more up-to-date books and support that is REALLY geared to newbies. I know that there are many who know how to do all the routine things that are necessary, but when a newbie comes to ask a question I really think that it needs to be spelled out step by step.

Too much information is better than too little.