Thread: Making iso files on Linux Mint 10

Making iso files on Linux Mint 10

I was having Microsoft windows XP operating system installed on my desktop. Last night while browsing the internet, my system got affected due to the virus attack and my operating system files got corrupted. I then formatted the system and installed Mint 10 which is a Linux based operating system. My system is working fine. I am a new user for the Linux platform and I want to make an iso file. I need a solution which will help me in making iso files on my Mint 10 platform easily.

Re: Making iso files on Linux Mint 10

You can easily make the iso files from the DVD very easily in Linux Mint 10 platform. To make the iso files you may need to follow the steps given below:
    1. You need to start the system and login into the system as administrator.
    2. If you want to create iso files from the DVD then you may need to insert the DVD into the DVD-ROM drive.
    3. After inserting the DVD into the system you may need to open the terminal window.
    4. In the terminal window you may need to type “dd if=/dev/dvd of=dvd.iso” and press the enter key from the keyboard.
    5. The iso file will be created and it will be having “dvd.iso” name.

If you want to create iso file from DVD into Linux Mint 10 platform then you may need open the terminal window by right clicking on the desktop. In the terminal window you may need to type “mkdir iso_dir” command in the directory and press the enter key. This will create a directory which will include the files that you want in the iso file. You need to copy the file to the "iso_dir" directory. After copying the file you may need to type "mkisofs -o cd.iso iso_dir/" in the terminal window which will create a iso file with “cd.iso” name.

I did not know the steps to create iso file in Mint 10 platform. Thanks for providing me the solution. From the above given solution I have created an iso file of my Apple DVD successfully. Now I want to burn the created iso file to the CD and I do not know the steps to burn it. I need a solution which will help me in burning the iso image file to the CD successfully.

If you are having iso file which you want to burn it to the CD then you may follow the steps given below for burning it to the CD:
    • Start the system and launch the CD burner software which is available in most of Linux operating systems.
    • You need to click on the “Burn as Image” from the CD burner tool which will help you in burning .iso to a CD.
    • Browse to the location where your iso file is saved, select it and then click on ok button.
    • You need to select 4 x speeds which is the optimum for writing the CD. Click on burn button and insert CD into the CD-ROM drive.
    • After burning the iso file to the CD, CD will be ejected from the CD-ROM drive which means burn process has been completed.