Thread: Enabling DMA mode in windows XP

Enabling DMA mode in windows XP

I was having Microsoft windows XP installed on my dell Inspiron 6400 laptop. Last night I upgraded all my drivers and also installed the latest update for my Kaspersky antivirus. My system was giving excellent performance after updation. I want to know that can I enable DMA mode for transferring data to my IPod. If yes then I need a solution describing steps to enable DMA mode are given with which I can enable DMA mode easily.

Re: Enabling DMA mode in windows XP

DMA is known as “Direct Memory Access” mode which provides excellent performance for transferring data to and from external devices. We can easily enable the DMA mode in windows XP. To enable the DMA mode you may need to follow the steps given below:
    1. You need to start the system and then click on start button.
    2. Right click on my computer from the start menu and select properties. You need to select hardware tab from the system properties dialog box.
    3. Click on device manager and then click on “+” sign next to IDA ATA/ATAPI controllers to expand it.
    4. You need to right click on Primary IDE Chanel and select properties. You will get a list of entries in advanced settings tab for “Device 0” and “Device 1”.
    5. You need to select “Device 1” and set it to “DMA”. After setting Device 1 to DMA you need to restart your computer system.

I did not know how to enable DMA. Thanks for providing me the solution. From the above given solution I have followed each and every thus the DMA was enabled. After enabling the Device 1 to DMA mode I restarted the system but after restarting the system my DMA mode is not detected and therefore I need a solution which will help me in resetting DMA so that it can be detected.

If you have enabled the Device 1 to DMA mode and after restarting the system, if DMA mode is not detected then you can reset the DMA mode so that it can be detected. The steps to reset the DMA mode so that it can be detected are given below:
    • You need to start the system and open the run window from the start menu.
    • You need to edit the windows registry by typing “regedit” command in the run window.
    • You need to browse to the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\ Class\{4D36E96A-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\000x and delete each entries.
    • After deleting the entries from the windows registry you need to restart the system. After restarting the system, the DMA settings will be automatically redetected.