Thread: Installing Java on Fedora

Installing Java on Fedora

I am a new user to Fedora operating system and recently I have upgraded my system from desktop to Acer Aspire 4920 Notebook. Last night while browsing across the internet I found the new version of Java software. So, I downloaded the new version of and started the installation. Installation of Java software fails with the error message. I need a solution so that I can troubleshoot this problem and successfully install Java software.

Re: Installing Java on Fedora

You need to follow the steps given below to install Java on Fedora:
    1. You need to start the system and Login into it by typing “su” in the administrator field and password in the password field.
    2. You need to type the T"cd /usr" command to go to this directory. Java is installed in "/usr/java" directory.
    3. You need to set the Java installation file to be executable. To set the file as executable you need to type "chmod a+x /DIRECTORY WHERE INSTALLER IS LOCATED/NAME OF INSTALLER FILE” command in the terminal window.
    4. To start the installation you need to type the "/DIRECTORY WHERE INSTALLER IS LOCATED/NAME OF INSTALLER FILE" command.
    5. After installating the java you need to install its package. You can install package by typing "rpm -iv <name and location of rpm file>" in the terminal window and press the enter key.
    6. This will install Java in the current directory.

Thanks for providing me the solution. From the above given solution I have tried to install Java software but the installation failed and error message were displayed on the screen. I restarted the system and started the installation once again but could not succeed. Well is there any other way of installing Java on Fedora. If yes then provide me a solution so that I can install the java software using that method.

Java is software for creating web based and stand alone applications. Java software was developed by sunmicrosystem. If the above method of installation has failed and java has not been installed then you can follow the steps given below to install java software:
    • You need to start the system and open the terminal window. You can find the terminal window by going to the Application/System tools.
    • You need to switch to root user by typing “su” command in the terminal window.
    • You can type the yum command thus “yum install java” command in the terminal window and the installation of Java software will start.
    • After the installation of Java software you need to exit from root session by typing exit command in the terminal window and hitting the enter key.