Thread: Grub file is missing

Grub file is missing

I had a Mandriva 2007 installed as well as I attempt to recover GRUB menu booting from the ubuntu 10.10 live CD. The majority public recommends the command "sudo grub", however it tells me "Command not found". So please tell me some solution so that I can get solution to my problem. Please help me out to solve this issue as soon as possible.....

Re: Grub file is missing

I have the similar problem as the author of the topic. I previously googled on it lots, but still I am not able to locate the answer. Even I had a Mandriva 2007 installed.I do not know where is my MBR? Grub is within the boot directory on one of the partitions.so tell me is this the MBR? If I still attempt it, I obtain: /usr/sbin/grub-probe: error: is not able to locate device for /boot/grub .so advise me some solution.

The newest editions of Ubuntu utilize GRUB2 where as Mandriva from 2007 would have utilized GRUB Legacy, as well as the two edition of GRUB is not well-suited. You be able to locate SuperGRUB live disks for both edition of GRUB (or utilize Super GRUB from the Parted Magic Live CD) as well as that be supposed to work to restore GRUB to the MBR if that is what you are wanting to do. At one time, Mandriva utilized LILO for the bootloader, however that might have changed as I utilized it last about 8 years ago.

The update-grub command runs a script known /usr/sbin/update-grub, which just runs another script known /usr/sbin/grub-mkconfig, observe grub-mkconfig.
    Here is what /usr/sbin/update-grub looks like,
    Code:
    Code:
    #!/bin/sh -e
    exec grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg "$@"
    See? The entire it does is run grub-mkconfig with the standard choice.
    The simply cause this command still exist is since it is simple for new users to keep in mind as well as it is easy. I believe running a command that does not have any options is boring. My suggestion is to skip this command as well as start getting utilized to utilizing the grub-mkconfig command instead. It is not a big step as well as simply need a wee bit more intelligence; you are able to perform it if you attempt!