Thread: Fileserver with Samba and Printserver with CUPS

Fileserver with Samba and Printserver with CUPS

I have just installed the Linux operating system on my laptop and I want to know some things about using this operating system. First of all I would like to ask one thing for which I have started this thread. I am having a SUSE Linux 9.3 and Gentoo 2005.1. Can anybody tell me that how can I have Fileserver with Samba and Printserver with CUPS? Can you guys help me?

Re: Fileserver with Samba and Printserver with CUPS

Edit / etc / smb.conf and to test that this file has no syntax error, use the command testparm. Here are the essential parameters for a typical file server (that is to say, which requires authentication):
    Code:
      workgroup: DOMAIN_NAME
     netbios name: machinename
     server string: My lil samba server
     security: USER
     guest account: nobody
    Then you can easily create file shares, which will appear in Network Neighborhood Windows machines. To access these shares, you must enter a login and password. The login must be present as a user on UNIX and SAMBA server included in the basic user management Samba (smbpasswd, tdb, LDAP, etc.).. To place a user in the Samba user management, use the following command:
    Code:
      # Smbpasswd-a user
    Manipulations may be necessary to ensure that Windows clients can access the Samba, including registry keys that are specified in the next section, but it should not be the case at this point.

At first, let's see if the server is able to "take" information about a remote client. To do this, type the command "smbclient-U-L NetBios_Name UserName", UserName must be knowing the name of a user said on the machine referenced by NetBios_Name. Suppose I want to perform a test on a machine named PC_Client1 running Windows NT. The command might be:

Code:
    smbclient-U Administrator-L PC_Client1
    It will ask the password for the Administrator of PC_Client1, then the program should display the following result:

Added interface ip = 192.0.1.3 bcast = 192.0.1.255 nmask = 255.255.255.0
    Server time is Mon Jun 15 1998 1:08:12 p.m.
    IS timezone UTC +2.0
    Password:
    Domain = [WrkGrp] OS = [Windows NT 4.0] Server = [NT LAN Manager 4.0]
    security = user

The CUPS configuration is in / etc / cups / cupds.conf:

It specifies the group of server administrators:
    Code:
      # SystemGroup root sys
     SystemGroup admin
    We allow remote administration:
    Code:
      # Listen localhost: 631
     Port 631
     Listen / var / run / cups / cups.sock
    It indicates that the Kerberos authentication by default will be:
    Code:
      DefaultAuthType Negotiate
    It indicates that the default policy will kerberos printers (see below):
    Code:
      DefaultPolicy kerberos
    Finally we write the kerberos policy by adapting slightly the predetermined policy authenticated:

Code:
    <Policy Kerberos> <Limit Create-Job Print-Job Print-URI> AuthType Default Require valid-user Order deny, allow </ Limit> <Limit Send-Document Send-URI Hold-Job Release-Job Restart-Job Purge-Jobs Set-Job-Attributes Create-Job-Subscription Renew-Subscription Cancel-subscriptio \ n Get-Notifications Reprocess-Job Cancel-Current-Job Suspend-Current-Job Resume Job-CUPS-Move-Job CUPS-Get-Document> AuthType Default Require user @ OWNER @ SYSTEM Order deny, allow </ Limit> <Limit CUPS-Add-Modify-Printer CUPS-Delete-Printer CUPS-Add-Modify- Class Class CUPS-Delete- CUPS-Set-Default> AuthType Default Require user @ SYSTEM Order deny, allow </ Limit> <Limit Pause-Printer Resume-Printer Enable-Printer Disable-Printer Pause-Printer-After-Current-Job Hold-New-Jobs Release-Held-New-Jobs Deactivate-Printer \ Activate Printer-Printer Restart-Shutdown-Printer Startup-Printer Promote-Job Schedule-Job-After CUPS-Accept-Jobs CUPS-Reject-Jobs> AuthType Default Require user @ SYSTEM Order deny, allow </ Limit> <Limit Cancel-Job CUPS -Authenticate-Job> AuthType Default Require user @ OWNER @ SYSTEM Order deny, allow </ Limit> <Limit all> Order deny, allow </ Limit> </ Policy>
    Note: with respect to policy authenticated, it simply adds the Require valid-user operations for Create-Job, Print-Job and Print-URI, which will limit the printing to authenticated users.