Thread: How can I add startup sound in gnome?

How can I add startup sound in gnome?

I have searched a lot about how can I add sound to my gnome startup just like what we do in Mandrake for KDE. But as I like the gnome, I would prefer to do the same for it. Is there anybody who have done any such things by somehow. Actually I am not so expert in it due to which I wasn't able to find it out that where it is going wrong. I have tried it in someway where realplayer played the startup sound but in a way in which I wanted to have it.

Re: How can I add startup sound in gnome?

The tool preferably Son allows you to control the start sound server GNOME. It is also possible to specify the sounds to broadcast during a given event. You can customize the settings of the tool preferably Son in the following functional areas:
    • General
    • Sound Events

The General tab of the tool preferably Son allows you to specify the server start GNOME. You can also enable sound event functions. The Events tab of the Sound preference tool Son allows you to associate sounds with specific events. You must select the Enable sound server at startup and Sounds for events before they can access the Sound Events tab.

With the arrival of Karmic Koala and changes to the startup process and the transition to GDM2 , you may have noticed a small sound of tam tam Africa was invited. The sound is nice, but when you turn the PC at 7am having left the speakers on, it wakes the whole house ... Just tell me you disable it (as could easily do on previous versions) Karmic but since it seems impossible to remove it easily via a GUI. It may be noted in passing that the GDM configuration GUI (System> Administration> Login Window) has changed a lot in a very minimalist. I bet that this is due to a lack of time for developers to adapt to these changes in GDM and should hopefully get a more consistent configuration interface in Lucid Lynx.

Here I have given you the command that you may try to enter for what you wish to do.

Code:
     sudo-u dbm gconftool-2-type bool-set / desktop / gnome / sound / event_sounds false
    There is also a sound of tom tom apparently issued upon successful completion of the connection. To disable it, the GUI is available (even if it is not really intuitive). We must go in System> Preference> Startup Applications and uncheck the line GNOME Login Sound.

I do not believe that the will ever exist. On Windows, for example, were in the course of the operating systems used whatever other sounds (Win98 <-> WinXP!) And a big difference from Windows to Linux is that Linux supports multiple graphical interfaces / window manager. Sun has other KDE Sound Themes such as Gnome or what a 100 (1000?) Window manager because it is else Sun I think everyone should decide for themselves what startup sound take, if any.

Linux is a kernel, so by making an "official startup sound" no sense. Would also be a bit annoying, though, before even loading init, just a sound is played. There you are of course free to patch your kernel accordingly. I would "Start Me Up" by the Rolling Stones recommend.