Thread: Linux Mint 10 boot fails due to the “initrd” error

Linux Mint 10 boot fails due to the “initrd” error

I freshly installed Linux Mint 10 on my Acer Notebook with a Linux OS live CD. The installation proceeded very well. The trouble aroused during reboot. On the dual boot option when I select Linux mint 10, 2.6.36-22-generic (/dev/sda5), and the boot halted up for quite a big time by a black screen with a blinking cursor on the top left of the display. Then I customized the GRUB by discarding the “silence splash” to distinguish where the trouble is. The booting procedure discontinue here:[1.005431] freeing initrd memory: 15824k untied.
    Afterward nothing happens don’t know what to do about this problem

Here are the information of my GRUB for Linux:
    GNU GRUB version 1.98+2001008014-5ubuntu3-1mint1
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    recordfail
    insmod part_msdos
    insmod ext1
    set root=’(hd0,msdos6)’
    search --no-floppy --fs –uuid –set 70f39065-36b0-48a8-8d33-5e56b4243f35
    linux /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.35-23-generic root=uuid=-36b0-48a8-8d33-5e56b4243f33 no quiet splash
    initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.36-22-generic

There was no problem while boot back the windows xp but it seems there is a problem with the Linux. Any help will be grateful

Re: Linux Mint 10 boot fails due to the “initrd” error

I think that you can't able to boot the live cd any longer? Hence you are facing the error after booting is complete. Make sure cd is primary boot option previous to booting to live cd. If you can acquire into live cd then you can attempt to diagnose the circumstances. So you will require to restart the whole system then you need to try booting from the live CD once more. I also look like you need to set the BIOS setting to boot from HD first so system only endeavor to boot from CD if Hard Disk boot code is missing. Attempt to changing the BIOS boot order properly.

Yes I was capable to boot from the liveCD only single time...after that I searching to observe what was incorrect but I could not contact the files and also unable to manipulate the files. So I determined to format the complete Hard Disk with my Windows XP recovery CD to have a new system to begin with. But on restart, I acquired this message:

error: unidentified filesystem
    grub liberate>_

Its look like that the revival CD cannot not able to installed the good MBR or boot loader??

Try changing grub kernel constraint at boot - if the menu is display on the screen then you will need to press the “E” key to modify as well as you will require to remove quiet splash from the kernel procession then select the ctrl + x option to boot. Post back the most recent pair of lines you get before the system freezes. If you don't get a excavate menu previous to the system boots then push the transfer key to display the menu. Then change the entry as above. Also attempt to boot in recovery form.

"After booting up the laptop from the Linux Mint 10 CD otherwise than the DVD into the Live surroundings, commence the installation procedure by selecting on the Install Linux Mint icon on the desktop. The representation below shows the third step of that installation procedure. The initial alternative shows that the installer has notice an additional operating system on the hard disk. Select the next button to go to the subsequent step. "The test installation utilized for this tutorial was in practical surroundings with concerning 75 GB of disk space. Windows 7 was establishing on this hard drive. The installer mechanically minimizes the space engaged by Windows 7 to build room for Mint. The dimension it allocates to Mint depends on the size of the hard drive. You can re-size it by locating the cursor connecting both sections as well as dragging to the left or right."