Thread: Some WMA files can not played after Windows 7 install

Some WMA files can not played after Windows 7 install

I just have finished with installing Windows 7 Pro on a system that was having Windows XP Pro installed earlier. Installation was proper and does not show any problem. There is only one problem that some of the music .WMA files can play well but many of jthen are having problem while playing. I made use of the Transfer Wizard for moving my music from one more XP computer to Windows 7 computer.

If I try to play a few music files then they play just well but for many of others, I find the message which says "Windows Media Player encountered a problem while playing the file." All these files are .WMA file which are before ripped from CD's and all played well on the earlier computers. My earlier XP Pro computer was having Windows Media Player 9. All other programs are working fine. Do you have any idea about this? If you know that how can it be solved then please suggest me that. Thank you!!!

Re: Some WMA files can not played after Windows 7 install

As you told that you have ripped WMA files initially so if those files are copy protected while ripping to CD then there is possibility that this will not run on any other computer system. While ripping the CD if you have enabled the Copy protect music setting on the Rip Music tab then it will give you this result. I am not saying that this is the only problem but it is one of the possible reasons for this. There may be many other possible reasons for this.

You should confirm event viewer for every associated event logs which may assist you for troubleshooting this problem. These events are promoted to this log with additional computers. Applications as well as Services Logs differ. They comprise detach logs concerning about the programs which run on your computer, in addition to that extra detailed logs that relate to exact Windows services.
    1. Click on Start button and select Control Panel. Select System and Security and click on Administrative Tools. Double click on Event Viewer. Provide the admin password if it prompts you.
    2. Click on event log that is there in left pane.
    3. Double click on event to analysis the particulars of the event.

I think that you need to install the Windows Media Player again. Follow the steps below to do this.
    1. First of all, Click on Start > Open Control Panel > Programs and Features.
    2. Now Click "Turn Windows features on or off" in from the left pane.
    3. Enlarge "Media Features" and uncheck "Windows Media Player". If it asks you for continuing then click "Yes" and click OK to stop. After that restart your computer.
    4. Again open “Turn Windows features on or off" and Turn on the features "Windows Media Player" as well as "Windows Media Center". Again reboot the system.
    5. Now open Windows Media Player and initialize the program. Try to play any .WMA files.

If these are the MP3 files otherwise WMA files that were ripped devoid of the*Copy protect music setting permited. If that is the case3 then this is usual. That means, the files can be played on new computers with no troubles. To be actually certain that the* Copy protect music setting is the reason of the trouble then you can attempt to play one of the difficult WMA files on an additional, third computer. If you obtain the similar error there also then it is more possible that the setting is the perpetrator.