Thread: "C" Drive space is disappearing

"C" Drive space is disappearing

I have just formatted my hard drive of DELL laptop Studio 1555 which was running Windows Vista. But I have installed the Windows 7 x64 on it. I have assigned 35 GBs for C drive on which I have installed the Windows 7. Since I have installed this new operating system on my laptop, I have noticed that the space of C drive keeps on decreasing. Currently it shows only 5 Gb which is quite shocking. Can anybody tell me what is happening to the space on hard drive and where it is getting used? I have checked manually which shows no extra files in it which may consume such a huge space.

Re: "C" Drive space is disappearing

What is expected taking up the space is restore point being created. You can remove older restore points or every restore points to make some free space on disk. You would be able to set allocation on how much disk space may be used for restore point. It is typically a excellent idea to maintain your restore points to make clear in your mind that you can roll back with no trouble if somewhat gets loaded that messes up your system so I wouldn't for myself get free of all of them, but you might wish for at least set up a maximum disk space for your restore points to make sure you don't completely run out of space.

There could be some virus on your C drive where you have installed Windows 7 operating system. Actually such kind of problem only persists when there is some infected file on the drive which might be running in the background due to which your hard drive space if getting used. Though it is not being used by physically but it might be getting utilized temporarily. I suggest you to scan your whole machine with any good antivirus software which cannot only detect the viruses but also remove them successfully with repairing the windows registry as well.

I guess that your windows operating system have got corrupted and there is nothing that you can do with it. First of check booting your machine in the safe mode which might solve this problem but if it does not then you have to reinstall the whole operating system. Make sure that once you install the new operating system then it would be better to scan your hard drive at the time of booting which is known by Bootscan in many antivirus softwares. Make sure that the source from where you are gonna install the new OS itself haven't got corrupted which will in fact install the the corrupted OS on your machine only.

It is easy to check that is there any process which might be creating some folders in your C drive due to which space is being used. I suggest you to open up the Task Manager from where it would be possible for you to check the current process that are running on your machine. Make sure that you Run Disk Cleanup. Then remove the Windows folder if you have upgraded your machine. Not go to the Start and then type cmd in the Run. Now type the %Temp% and then delete contents of the folder and reboot your machine.