Thread: How to Install Windows 7 RC to second hard disk

How to Install Windows 7 RC to second hard disk

Hello friends, I've presently assemble a new computer with an Asus P6T motherboard and Intel i7 920 CPU all along with Vista Home Premium 64 bit on my C: 1Tera Bytes SATA drive. I've purchased one more second 1Tera Bytes SATA drive formatted as my L: drive, downloaded and produced an install DVD for Windows 7 RC. My difficulty is this. Can I generate a dual boot system merely by inserting the Windows7 install DVD while running Vista, and select custom install and set up Windows 7 to my L: drive, and if so, will I wind up with a dual boot menu option when I restart? Thanks in advance.

Re: How to Install Windows 7 RC to second hard disk

A custom install will advance your accessible OS. To get a dual boot, boot the system from the DVD and do a clean set up to the secondary hard drive. Windows 7 will then identify the Vista install and give you the boot loader at boot up. Also I recommend you to download and configure the Windows 7 image once again. It may have gotten corrupted during the download.

You will not have to modify the BIOS. The boot loader will write down to the MBR on the primary drive, in spite of what drive the Operating system is installed on. The MBR lives at the commencement of the especially first hard drive and controls the booting through there. When you set up Windows 7, it will view that the Vista is also installed and will create all the required alteration to the MBR (even though it's on the other drive) to give you the dual-boot choice you want.

Once after setting my Asus BIOS to boot from the DVD, Express Gate freezes and rejects to do whatever thing. If I restart a second time, although the BIOS says to start from the DVD, it boots Vista on C: I have two identical DVD drives and two identical hard drives, all SATA. might that be the problem? Also is the 2nd hard drive vacant and in the boot order is it show the 2nd hard drive you wish for to install windows7 on. Also if probable attempt one more keyboard with no USB association as I also had a parallel problem ages ago while installing XP and I originate that for some reason it wasn’t being recognized in the bootloader phases nevertheless it still worked completely with the operating system afterwards. REgards