Thread: 320GB Hard drive showing 127GB problem on Windows SP3

320GB Hard drive showing 127GB problem on Windows SP3

Yesterday, I plugged the 3rd HHD in my computer and formatted that. Formatting gets completed properly and I turned my computer off. Today when I turned on my computer then it was showing me only 127GB in the place of 320GB. I checked the BIOS and it is able to recognize it as 320GB. Only problem is with the Windows. My computer is running under Windows XP service pack 3. I am searching for the solution on internet from last 3 hours but not got the proper answer. Therefore I am leaving the question here so that I get response from you people.

Re: Fix for 127GB problem with service pack 3

I think that the operating system that you are using is the reason for the problem. If you are using the disk that is larger than 137GB then you should use Windows XP SP1 or later version to use the disk. You can try other things and if it does not help you to detect the entire disk then you can change to previous version.

There may be some bug in the hard drive that is why it is not giving the exact space. To fix this issue, you can run the chkdsk on your computer. It will scan the entire disk and if it found any bug or problem in the disk then it will fix that problem. It will take some time to complete the process according to your computer configuration. After completion of the checkup it will show you the summary of the scan. Once it is completed the scan then it will start the computer normally and you’re your problem may be solved.

It can be some problem with the BIOS settings. This is something related to "LBA" which is called Logical Block Addressing. On the older systems, it is having the limit of 28 bits for LBA addresses and this limits the size of the disk to 137GB. If we talk about the newer system then I would like to tell you that it allows 48 bits for storing the LBA addresses. This will take away that restriction.

Re: 320GB Hard drive showing 127GB problem on Windows SP3

You should check the manual for the motherboard. Normally we have to press the key F2 or DEL button while it is loading the operating system. This will start the self test on the computer. You can also try to update the BIOS version. Try to set the settings on the BIOS to its default.