Thread: Full hard drive cannot allow login in ubuntu

Full hard drive cannot allow login in ubuntu

Hi all, I am using the Ubuntu Linux into my system. My problem is that the storage for my hard drive is full and so I am not able to login to the system as I usually login. Therefore, I want to know that if there is any method by which I can login into command line. If I can do that then I will delete some files from my hard drive and it will free some space in my disk. Whenever I tried to login to the system it takes me back to the login screen.

Re: Full hard drive cannot allow login in ubuntu

You should press the key ALT + CTRL + F1 and from there you can login to the system with your username and password. Below is the code that you can use.
    Code:
    sudo su - 
    df -h 
    cd / 
    du -s * |sort -n |less
    After logging into the system you should delete the files that are not needed for you. And free the space as much as possible. Now logoff again and this time you will be able to login without any problem.

I don’t think that above posted solution will help for you. You should go to console and login from there. To do that you have to press ctrl + alt + F2 and it will let you to console. Provide the username and the password. Login to system and now you can delete the files that you want to free the memory. After that you can press alt + F7 key and this will let you to back to the GUI login screen. I hope this will help you.

You can follow the steps below to login as a different user.

1. First of all you have to start your computer in recovery mode. You can do this by pressing the restart button and press Esc key while it is booting. From the setup menu, you have to select recovery mode. This will open the terminal session as root.
    2. Here you have to add new user in command line.
    3. You have to provide sudo/root access to this user. You can type usermod -G admin followed by the name of the user that you have created.
    4. Now you should press ctrl + d and this will show you the login screen. From here you have to login as new user.

I think that the Ubuntu that is installed in your computer is corrupted. As there is very less chance for this but still it is possible. If that is the case then you have to install the Ubuntu again. IF possible then download it again and don’t use the old setup. Install the newly downloaded setup and this may solve the problem for you. Take it as the last option if nothing helps you.