Thread: How to install Lubuntu

How to install Lubuntu

I am not having enough idea about the Lubuntu, so thought to take some notes about it from you members. I am trying to install it, but not getting succeeded. So thought that you guys will provide me some useful tips for installing the Lubuntu. Also I am not sure about the required system specifications, so please do inform me about it. Please tell me how to install Lubuntu? (the foremost thing that I wanted to know). I hope that some of you members will be helpful and provide some notes about it.

Re: How to install Lubuntu

Lubuntu is not officially supported descendant of the famous Ubuntu distribution. The distribution uses the LXDE lightweight desktop manager. The Linux distribution used Lubuntu the lightweight and very fast desktop manager LXDE. Thanks to the low hardware requirements, the distribution is not only on older hardware, but also on netbook systems. On the other current hardware, the programs open with virtually no delay. This is partly due to the software selection. The developers have only lightweight software such as word processor Abiword taken on board.

The copying of the operating system Ubuntu in the usual manner. You can request to first try out a live version and later decide for an installation. Currently, a date on Lucid Lynx-based Beta version. Once you've had to do with Linux already expected, with Lubuntu major difficulties. no GNOME users will find, for example, the familiar network -manager again, which all network connections can be administered with. This includes mobile broadband. As already mentioned, the developers of small, fast programs. In the office sector, therefore, Gnumeric, Abiword, and Osmo epdfview is on board. These programs are good for actually working on the PC. The only drawback is that they still have compatibility problems with the major operators. Thanks to the Ubuntu repositories, but you have access to thousands of other software packages.

Lubuntu is a variant of Ubuntu which desktop environment is LXDE (as Kubuntu and Xubuntu which are respectively desktop environment KDE and Xfce). Using LXDE as the desktop environment (even lighter than Xfce) Lubuntu is particularly recommended for older configurations with between 128 MB and 256 MB of RAM. With this lightness, this version is an interesting solution to issues of energy consumption (and thus autonomy of laptops). This variant loads by default:
    • PCManFM as file manager
    • openbox as window manager
    • lxdm as Connection Manager
    • Chromium as a web browser
    • Aqualung as an audio player
    • leafpad as text editor
    • GPicView as image viewer

I would like to inform you about the minimum installation (if you have little RAM). If your computer has less than 160 MB of memory (RAM), the installation from the live CD is impossible. In such scenarios you can use the graphical installation that requires Ethernet connection :
    1. Download the appropriate ISO file and burn a CD;
    2. Booting the computer from the CD;
    3. At startup, when you see "boot:", tap the "Enter";
    4. Select "Install Command Line";
    5. Select language and keyboard;
    6. Specify the hostname of the system (for Internet connection);
    7. Choose a mirror near you;
    8. Partitioning your drive;
    9. Updates - Select 'No automatic update [3];
    10. Installing GRUB on your drive.
    Once the minimal installation is complete, you can install the game Lubuntu by entering the following commands:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install python-software-properties
     sudo apt-add-ppa repository: lubuntu-desktop/ppa
     sudo apt-get update
     sudo apt-get install - no-install desktop-recommends-Lubuntu
     sudo apt-get dist-upgrade (This Is Probably Not Required, nothing gets updated)
     sudo apt-get autoclean
     sudo rm / var / cache / apt / archives / * 
     sudo reboot
    I am sure that this post will definitely help you..

Lubuntu is fast - very fast. This is a Linux distribution that is based on Ubuntu 10.04. Use the LXDE desktop, a desktop version that you use as window manager OpenBox and make this distribution is one of the lightest on the market, allowing its use on older computers or with few resources. This is such a lack or semi-finished translations. However, there is a release from the Ubuntu series, which can be kept in mind. When installation is really fast. After test on a Pentium III with 256 MB of RAM installed on your computer is just over 20 minutes. By the type of equipment to which it is intended, does not include some popular programs in the Linux universe as OpenOffice or Firefox. Instead opt for AbiWord and Gnumeric as Chromium as office applications and browser makers to consider sharing resources to better manage hardware. The developers are trying to get into the list of officially supported by Canonical Ubuntu derivatives. There are currently, for example, Kubuntu , Xubuntu, Edubuntu, and Mythbuntu . The Lubuntu developers are definitely on the right track. (MJE)