Thread: Not able to Log on an Ubuntu Linux

Not able to Log on an Ubuntu Linux

I cannot login traditionally into my Ubuntu Linux as there is some problem with the hard drive. It says me that hard drive is full. Now I am willing to remove some of the useless data from my hard drive but as I am not able to login, How do I do it? Can somebody help me to find the way to login into the command line from where I guess it would be possible to remove the data. Whenever I try to login then it takes back to the Login Screen.

Re: Not able to Log on an Ubuntu Linux

Here I have provided you commands which you can use to login on your Ubuntu. First of all press ALT + CTRL + F1 and then login with your username and password. Now enter the following commands.

Code:
    sudo su - 

df -h 

cd / 

du -s * |sort -n |less
    Now you are left with the searching the files that are using large amount of space on your hard disk which needs to be removed.

Hello world! I am totally newbie to linux (ubuntu 10.4). I cannot start the computer graphics mode, somebody told me that the terminal is really good but it is still necessary to use it which is not my case! When I do a df I am happy to discover that my disk is used 100%. I made clean and auto clean but nothing helped. Here I tested a command found in your home:
    Code:
    $ Sudo du-h | grep [0-9] G
    I found 4 files (total of 13.5 Giga) that I can delete but I do not know how to do and then there is a folder which I do not know what it is, the command just sent me 28G.

The partition / dev/sda1, on which / (root) is mounted is overloaded, making it impossible to start the graphical server. Since you did not partition to mount / home (the folder where most of your files are stored) separately (from the output of the above and the fact that I assume you used the default values ubuntu-installer), we cannot know a priori where does the overload. So you should post the output of this command to see which files are occupying 147.8 GB.
    Code:
    du am | sort-nr | head -10
    This command will display the size and location of the 10 largest files / directories of your accounts, in megabytes, by sorting them in descending order. You can also run that one if you want, it will display any file in your personnel file which is over 10M.
    Code:
     Console - Sélectionner  find ~-size +10 M